I found a Gillott

Dancjwood

Devout Dirtbag
I went for a rummage at my localish bicycle recycler today and came back with a couple of things amongst which was this Gillott.

It's been horribly painted but it's lovely underneath the grime; it's serial number is 501592 which i believe makes it a 1950 bike and the 1592nd Made. It has matching numbers on the BB and rear dropouts.

It has a Campagnolo Pista crankset with some kind of pedals and GB Professional clips. Sadly the aluminium of the crankset has gone soft in places.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpg
    IMG_0087.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0086.jpg
    IMG_0086.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    110.2 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0093.jpg
    IMG_0093.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0092.jpg
    IMG_0092.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 750
  • IMG_0094.jpg
    IMG_0094.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 750
What a wonderful find!!! With a head badge, a headset and that beautiful lugwork. Congratulations to you Sir!!!

Mike

Re:

Both of which need a serious amount of work; I have the stuff for the floor but I'm at a bit of a loss with the frame.

Its a fantastic frame, the workmanship is amazing.

Re:

Stripping the floor and re-waxing isn't too bad. Cover skirting's and anything else with plastic. A good machine scrub will bring it up a treat.

As for the Gillot, If the frames sound, research as much as you can. Original colour or a colour you like. What parts they used, V-CC for catalogues if they have 1950 or near. Media blast or strip with paint stripper, wire wool and elbow grease. Track rear ends on your frame. So it could have been used for sprints or cyclecross?

You could go down the Argos or others route and get someone to restore it, if finances or wife allow :)

Simon

Re:

Just looked on classic lightweights and there's a 49 Spear and a 51 L'Altlantiqe. The 49 starts with 9 and the 51 starts 501. Yours could be a 51 Spear possibly.

Has it got the forks and rear brake bridge drilled for brakes??

Simon

Re:

Just the forks are drilled.

I mean I'd love to fix it up but I've been trying to hunt out a road bike for some time and keep getting distracted with side projects or bikes that are the wrong size.

I should focus on something as I'm in danger of becoming a hoarder.

It's very nice though, maybe I should just focus on this.

Re:

Snap!!! I have too many :). If its your size then it would be worth restoring. The lack of braze-ons and no mudguard eyes its built for speed.

Simon

Back