Anyone in NE London who can remove TA crank for me?

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
I need to remove a TA crank - my standard crank pulling tool doesn't work.
Anyone accessible by Rail in North East or West End of London who is able to do me a favour and remove it?

Will save me money - LBS charging £15 for a 1 minute job.

Or any LBS who charges about £5 or so for this ?

Any help appreciated

does your crank extractor seem too small to screw in? the older (pre 1980's) TA's had a larger 23.35mm aperture as opposed to the standard aperture of 22mm so you'd need a dedicated TA/Stronglight tool to pull it off, not many shops have these but I can help if no one nearer can help....I'm in Brentwood, Essex

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
If you can loosen the non drive side bb cup you can create enough slack to knock the axle free. I've done this a couple of times with ta cranks.

AndyMart":12ubi67s said:
If you can loosen the non drive side bb cup you can create enough slack to knock the axle free. I've done this a couple of times with ta cranks.
Thanks for this advice. Can you elaborate please?

And thanks for the other advice, I think buying that tool may be worth it.

Hard to explain but if you loosen the non drive cup so it pushes the whole crank to the left, it brings the drive side closer to the frame and creates space between drive side bearings and cup. You can then loosen the non drive bolt and give it a good whack with a mallet to free the axle.

AndyMart":iusxs794 said:
Hard to explain but if you loosen the non drive cup so it pushes the whole crank to the left, it brings the drive side closer to the frame and creates space between drive side bearings and cup. You can then loosen the non drive bolt and give it a good whack with a mallet to free the axle.
Question
How do I loosen without taking the non drive side crank arm off?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back