restoring triumph

artgarfheinkel

Devout Dirtbag
Not the right forum for this as can't find a new topic button in the FAQs. So anyway: bought a Raleigh triumph racer which the previous owner resprayed all over with matt black car spray. Its one coat so thin and I can see the original blue paint underneath in places. How can I remove the black spray without also taking off the blue? It scrapes off easily on the chrome. Thanks.

My first port of call would be to try some paint thinners on a hidden bit of the frame.

Shaun

To add to Midlife's excellent suggestion, try denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) as a solvent. I have had good results removing rattle can paints from a variety of painted parts, the secret is to lightly dampen a rag with alcohol and work (wipe) small areas, the rattle can paint should start coming off immediately, do not soak the paint you want to remove, as the alcohol can soften the paint finish you want to save (if left on the surface long enough), use "Q-Tips" to remove paint from detailed areas, finish the rescued paint with a good rubbing compound. NOTE: use extreme caution around any decals, pinstriping or transfers.

: Mike

Blackbike":35z5cijq said:
To add to Midlife's excellent suggestion, try denatured alcohol (methylated spirits) as a solvent. I have had good results removing rattle can paints from a variety of painted parts, the secret is to lightly dampen a rag with alcohol and work (wipe) small areas, the rattle can paint should start coming off immediately, do not soak the paint you want to remove, as the alcohol can soften the paint finish you want to save (if left on the surface long enough), use "Q-Tips" to remove paint from detailed areas, finish the rescued paint with a good rubbing compound. NOTE: use extreme caution around any decals, pinstriping or transfers.

: Mike

+1

I second these sentiments, things like denatured alcohol are suppose to be very helpful and safe as well, cheap and I don't think fumes are a problem.

The Valspar product Goof Off is helpful as well and has the denatured alcohol as one part of it if one can find it.

Back