just getting my banana out (advice need)

genner8

Dirt Disciple
seeing as i Haven't posted much I thought it say hi, Just bought a Banana, absolutely love Raleigh bikes, Had my fair share over the years but never have I been so lucky as to own a Banana up until last week.

plan for this restoration is to go rat rod, the frame set will be the same but im adding a shimano 105 group set and some new modern Mavic rims and Hubs. so far the project has been pretty easy, the dropouts didn't need bending to take the 130mm rear wheel not did it need forcing.

as usual the project has to take a small break as im waiting for mr postman to deliver my new parts.

I'm familiar with how to understand the stamps WS = Workshop, however this one hasn't got any letters and the numbers don't make sense, can anyone shed any light?

now what can this mean?

new rear wheel

This looks like one of the bog standard raleigh replicas, not one of the decent ones. That maybe why the numbers don't make much sense.

Frame number will be on the back of the seat tube, towards the top.

It will start with an 'N' denoting that it is (as for pointed out) the 18-23 entry level bike

Looking forward to seeing some more pics as this develops

foz":3qpp0fyw said:
This looks like one of the bog standard raleigh replicas, not one of the decent ones. That maybe why the numbers don't make much sense.

tbh i wasn't expecting anything more, just happy to have something that poses so much nostalgia to me

the frame is in reasonable condition so will do me for a while.

It will start with an 'N' denoting that it is (as for pointed out) the 18-23 entry level bike

cant seem to find any numbers on the seat tube either, weird. could be a fake?

Im not really a collector or perfectionist, just enjoy a good tinker about, my vw camper takes up most of my toy fund

Re:

its a big un! Hope that either you're over 6ft tall or not bothered about having any more kids ;)

The paint on these bikes can sometimes be so thick that the frame number 'disappears' but it'll be there somewhere (on the back of seat tube)

I believe it's a 1988, based on the fact it has the Raleigh Team Banana top tube decal, as the 1989 bike just said Team Raleigh

Probably a late 88 model, based on the Shimano SIS gearing, as the earlier one's had Sachs Huret

Re:

Smart machine . Goes to prove you do not have to break the bank to have fun and quality shed time .

Have you installed the wheels and brake calipers yet? Those modern 105 brake calipers can reach the 700c wheels brake track?

Looking at your pic of the current rear mech set-up it looks loke the frame doesn't have a hanger integral with the drive-side dropout. The 105 mech will not have its own hanger so someone reading this May be able to tell you what you'll need to source to be able to fit it.

Re: Re:

pigman":pjhonehy said:
its a big un! Hope that either you're over 6ft tall or not bothered about having any more kids ;)

Exactly, so many nice bikes for sale are too big, I guess that's the reason they are up for sale! :LOL:

Back