Parts for a restored 1948 RRA frameset

bm0p700f

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well I am sure that the bike is meant to take 26" wheels. The thing is are there tubular 26" rims somewhere.

All I can find are clinchers in 26x 1 3/8" size.

Re:

26 x 1 1/4 is what they used. 27 x 1 1/4 can fit if frame allows them. It just says Endrick rims in catalogues. Dunlop special lightweights or Stainless are around but not cheap. 32/40 hole, rims with SA close ratio, 4 speed rear hub.

Clinchers were standard. Tube rims like Fiamme or Constrictor could be used. If you can find any 32/40 hole tube rims from the 50s it could be an upgrade, you could say.

Simon

Re: Rims for 1948 RRA

Original wheels were probably Dunlop "HP" special lightweight chrome or stainless 24 ounce rims. There could have been an option for Dunlop alloy sprint rims and Dunlop tubulars.
We could usually get what we called 27 inch sprint wheels and tubulars into frames made for 26s.
I remember selling Dunlop 26" tubulars. I think by 1949/50 the RRA had 27s.

Keith

This is all useful thanks. I really dont want to use steel rims I will have to use 700c rims as 27" tubular tyres are not exactly common and the thought of riding very old rubber is not that appealing as getting replacements will not be easy.

I have finally made up my mind what use now.

Yes I want it to be period but practical and useable. 27" tyres can only be had in clincher form and 26x 1 1/4" tyres are a bit cheap and I dont really trust them for a longer ride. I am being a snob now. I have at least seen a nice period quill stem and bars made by renoylds that I will buy.
The problem I do have is which brake levers. All the ones I have seen have no hoods or very perished and unusable ones. Unless I use a lever on the tops and do away with the back brake but that will make it look like some trendy hipster bike which is not the look I am going for. Dilema's abound with this bike.

I would need to use period hubs given the 117mm/98mm OLD and the dropouts wont take modern 9/10mm axles as they need to 8.5mm front and 9.5mm rear or flattened on one side. The only way I could get hubs made to those dimension would be to go to Royce but that will mean a big spend and it wont look very period anymore. The frame could be spread a bit but I would not want to file the dropouts out as the chrome work is far too nice to ruin.

So it will be period except for the rims and tyres. I just hope a period brake will have enough drop to work with a 700c rim.

Re:

I think Raleigh used both BH Airlite and BW solid centre large flange. hubs
The original brake levers were probably GB, I used to sometimes ride to work with a friend who had one of these, but it was 1949.

Keith

I think the rims/tyres should be 26 x 1-3/8" if you're going to use 26", not 26 x 1-1/4".

For the brake drop, I measured the following rim outer diameters which should help:

26 x 1-3/8: 603mm
27 x 1-1/4: 641mm
700c: 633mm
Tubular: 633mm

With old brakes, it's not 700c which is the problem, it's more likely whether there's enough drop to reach the 26" rim. Usually it's the skinny tyres chosen for 700c which look out of place.

Jonny, 26 x 1 3/8 were used on commuter and roadster bikes, never on "club/racers".

Keith

Back