Classifieds and cross-posting confusion

Ajoten

Old School Hero
Er... I am now getting very confused. I need to sell some things and I read that "cross posting" is forbidden. The word is used casually like we should all know what it means. But I don't.

Is it posting the same thing on different websites? And if so, what's wrong with that? Does ebay count? I've got things on there but at higher £ than when I use the classifieds here.

Or is it something else (in which case I'll reinstate my ad)?

Help!

Yep, pretty sure that's what it is. It seems to be ok to post things for sale elsewhere as long as the price is the same (or cheaper) here. I've seen a couple of threads where things have been more expensive listed on here than on other forums and it doesn't go down well!

Re:

I think the rule also means that you can't just post a link to an advert you may have on another forum - write the advert out fully on this site too.

Re:

the original meaning of cross posting here was to stop people doubling up on posts, they'd write an advert in one section then link to it from other sale/wanted/pre98/post98 sections, so effectively giving themselves 2/3/4 sale threads, which basically turned into spam threads.

the simple way to do it is to write one advert for whatever you are selling, post it in the most appropriate section, do not bump it more than once in 24hours.

recently i've noticed an increase in double postings again, the delete button may be coming out of retirement! ;)

Back