ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Hi guys, another Carlton thread here.

I've been seeking high and low for a Carlton Professional for a while now and an eBay seller in the States says he may split his Raleigh professional MK V (197:cool: which is in excellent original condition.

He's given a ball park figure of $390 for frame and fork, and in today's exchange rate that will be ~ £257.

Would that be a decent price? (no headset - that's $90 extra)

How would you rate this as a purchase? And compared to the Carlton Pro?
Personally I much prefer the look of this to the silver Carlton Pro from 1978 - this blue colour with the gold harks back to Carlton's of previous generations.

Here's the bike:

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Looks a very nice frame, in one of my favourite colour schemes.
Does the price include shipping?
You should also factor in VAT (20%), Customs Duty (2.5%?) and the Courier Admin fee for collecting the VAT/Duty.

Mink so it's USA, portacatena dropouts, cutout lugs, oversize seat stay caps and waisted fork crown so might be a bit later than 1978 but its the USA take on the Carlton Pro of the late 70's and early 80's. Very nice :)

It depends as ever how much you like it and how much are you prepared to pay. I searched high and low for the right era SR extra super light stem and found one eventually and bought it. You don't want to know the price but it saved me another 2 years of searching.

Shaun

bedraggled":2ts2ed5p said:
Looks a very nice frame, in one of my favourite colour schemes.
Does the price include shipping?
You should also factor in VAT (20%), Customs Duty (2.5%?) and the Courier Admin fee for collecting the VAT/Duty.

It's lovely
The way round customs and vat is to get the seller to kindly declare it as a Gift with $50 USD max. Yet insuring the FedEx or DHL for full anount and sending express tracked .
I've bought many things from Japan, HK Singapore and USA like this - items costing a lot more than this (fine watches and cameras)

I really like this a lot - the blue and detailing is gorgeous - the size would suit 5'7" me I think and the serial number makes it Worksop 1978 too.

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to sleep on it and then contact he seller tomorrow with most likely saying I want it!

Superb buy. Keep it as original as possible, clean, service and prepare. Will look great on the road.

Spokesmann":3t93kcyy said:
Superb buy. Keep it as original as possible, clean, service and prepare. Will look great on the road.

Thanks Mike, I've submitted my offer to him, awaiting him to get back to me.
I hope he accepts it (decided on a price, just waiting whether he accepts my way of not being stung with VAT) VAT on a 2nd hand cycle frame from 1978 is just ridiculous.

When you say keep original, do you mean the original spec as on catalogue?

02-77-professional.jpg

Here are some more pics of this gorgeous frame/bike. The whole bike I think is original- unfortunately, in one fell swoop I cannot afford to buy it, hence the offer for frame/fork only. IF he agrees to go for it and sell it to me I reckon I should aim to get to a catalogue spec.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Thats is a great looking mount. Not forensically prepared like some stuff Ive seen on this forum, clean, well maintained and with a hint of wear and tear - its been ridden and enjoyed. Hope you get it.

Re:

Well I've bought it and all is good so far! Frame fork headset and the engraved handlebars .
I'm really looking forward to this - I'm wondering whether to put my own signature build on it - in other words period correct Suntour Superbe mechs and brakes (or the Weinmann Carerras) plus a TA (2 ring) chain set.
Have to have sprint rims and tubulars and high flange hubs a must as they just look so much better .
Any thoughts ?

I will need to sell my Carlton Criterium now - with regret. I may actually split it and keep the frame and sell the parts (to fund the Raleigh Professional).

So let me know if anyone is interested in the parts.

I wish that was mine having seen the close up pics, just a twinge of jealousy...

It just needs Campag NR draped on it to finish it off, by 1978 small or large flange hubs will do.

Shaun

Back