Weird Cinelli Bars?!

rusty bodie

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just got a set of 66 - 42s from ebay and have never seen them shaped like this - the end of the bars are around an inch longer than my existing 66 - 42s and of the same period! Has anyone seen this before??

:?

Re:

Weird. I was in the bike trade from the early 80s to the late 90s and have never seen them with this elongated shape . . .

:?:

I chopped a couple of pairs of cinelli bars down, 64s and 66 i think, the long tail at the bottom was all but useless for actually riding on. Unless yours are brand new and unmolested, i'd reckon that's what the score is.

It's also not impossible that cinelli changed the design/mucked things up and had several different lengths during the years they made them. I know i had one set with the central shim about 1cm off centre, and a mate had a set where the left and right bends were at different angles :shock: so a longer/shorter tail wouldn't really be a surprise (different length tails on the same bar would be interesting!)

Re:

That's unreal!! I have never seen a pair of Cinelli bars looking anything other than they are supposed to until recently!

Here's the pair of 65-42 bars that I took off of the TvT when I bought it - look at the position of the centre sleeve - the engraved areas are more than 90 degrees rotated towards the rider than they should be!

:shock:

Re:

Misaligned sleeves isn't unknown. I have done it when the bars were not tight enough when doing jumps :roll: and also when trying to move bars when not loose enough. Kids with no mechanical sympathy!

Meh, mine was fresh out of the packet. In fact bars is one thing i won't even look at second hand thanks to
Kids with no mechanical sympathy!
a lot of adults are no better.........

Back