Pre vs post 2001 campag shifters with pre2001 mechs.

kbmpi

Retro Guru
Hello :)

According to this table:

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Bicycles/ ... Dimensions

a post 2001 shifter with pre-2001 derailleur (campag) will work flawlessly with shimano cassettes.

I confirm, an 8speed mirage derailleur shifts perfectly with 10speed centaur levers on a sram cassette with kmc 10 speed chain.

But, my question is: would a post-2001 shifter paired with pre-2001 derailleur work with CAMPAGNOLO spaced cassettes?

I'd assume, no, as the difference would be quite significant.

for example: 9speed lever post 2001-pre 2001 derailleur: 4.36mm, which is quite far off from 4.55mm, esp. if you multiply it with 8 (as the shifter has 8 clicks)

I assume, if I has pre-2001 derailleur, and have acces to both pre and post 2001 index ratchets for my shifters, I should just build up the shifters with pre-2001 index ratchets to ensure flawless shifting.

I'm asking this, as I'm a cheap fella, and I can get my hands on post2001 ratchets for free, whereas the pre-2001 assembly parts would set me back with seven quids :D :D

Can I use post2001 indexing with pre2001 derailleurs on campag cassette, or should I get the pre-2001 parts and "forgetaboutit"

thanks in advance :facepalm: :facepalm: (facepalming myself to starting a thread about 8 quids)

It is, because I've tried it, and it works like charm with 10speed.

But my question is: could a post-2001 campy shifter work well with a pre-2001 RD on campag cassettes?

No.

Well, sort-of:
However you would probably get away with it with brand new cables and everything clean as the jockey float covers a multitude of sins. Do a few hundred miles, get the cables dirty and then have a muddy ride and it will (in all probability) jump and rattle.

Campag pre-2001 9 speed on my bike (mix of 94-96 Record and Chorus) never, ever, seems to need adjustment, even after a whole mucky winter's riding.

I guess it depends on whether you want a tetchy setup...but perhaps no worse than Shimano 10!!!

Thank you

I'd probably be better of with sticking origin pre-2001 shifter parts for the pre2001 RD then. Kind regards

stvn

I agree although I also find that sometimes a bit of wear copes nicely whereas new bits don't. I am using newish 10 speed Ergos with a matching mech on a 10 speed Shimano cassette. Once a few miles had been done its as good as it was with a Campag cassette.

Matt: I believe you, but keep in mind, that shifting is generally tolerates "Overshift" better than "not enough travel". That's why seven speed shifters generally work well with 8speed cassettes, but not vice-versa, and that's why campy11 or campy9-10 can shift nicely with sh cassettes as well.

With campy10 setup, your mech travels cca. 4.15 mm for every click, and your cassette is spaced 3.95mm, therefore, it tolerates this better, than the other way round. With my old RD, if it would be connected to a 10speed shifter, it would only move around 3.96mm per click, which is damn close to shimano spacing, but far from the 4.15 on campag cassettes.

And for verification, inded, old campy RD-s with 10speed shifters DO work well with sh cassettes, but unfortunately, impossible to tune it for campag.

I'd be better of with getting the appropriate shifter internals then :)

PS: I kindly appreciate any input from other members as well. I do think that sharing experience and thoughts is the way for the boards to go

Back