Please help! Identifying vintage Raleigh for restoration!

dougiedoug69

Retro Newbie
Dear All.

I have just got my hands on an older Raleigh bike. I am not sure whether it is a road bike etc as it has not only been crudely repainted, but I believe the wheels, saddle, cassette, handlebars and mudguards have all been replaced. All seems to have been shoddily done and most parts look out of place (mudguards barely fit!).

That doesn't leave me much to go by for identification purposes, but I would really like to restore this bike and make it look as original as possible.

All I have to go by is the frame number HK914966 (Which I believe means it was produced at Handsworth in July 1979) and the fact that the frame has clips for a bike pump underneath the top tube. There also doesn't appear to be a bolt hole for the rear derailleur.

Please see attached photo.

I would be really grateful for any help as to identifying the type of bike this is so I can start the process of restoring her.

Thanks for your time.

Attachments

• IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    144.4 KB · Views: 210
A Raleigh built for 26 inch wheels, many millions of similar frames were made between late 40s and the demise of Raleigh UK manufacturing. Pump pegs under top tube may be something to look for in the plenty of raleigh catalogues on line.

If the saddle pillar/seat pin is 1 inch diameter (25.4mm) then standard Raleigh heavyweight.

Various fork crowns sometimes designated the original name, in uk sold as Humber, Rudge,Triumph etc.

Keith

I'd just swap the silver bits for black ones and keep riding. No need for a restoration, its more interesting (and probably more useful) this way.

Back