Clip headset - how to?

creindesign

Dirt Disciple
Hi,

I am going to start a technical resto on an Evans from the early 50s. Maybe the frame is a bit older...

It has a clip headset, and I was wondering if any one can share some insights on what to do and not to do...

Is there a specific order on how to loosen and tighten it?

Or is it exactly the same as a "normal" / "continental" headset and is the clip only there to fix the stem?

Thanks in advance

Rogier - Cambridge

With mine you only had one option. The clip is the race but isn't threaded. So that sits on the bearing and then the top nut tightens the clip to the right load. Locking the clip up then holds it all in place.
I did find that if I think would the top nut down a bit against the clip everything stayed tighter. Sadly I can't check this as the clip bit went missing when the bike was stolen/recovered.

Thanks Matt and Keith,

So I could see it as a high spacer. The top nut is the only component for load adjustment.

For removal: simply untighten the clip, remove the stem, remove the top nut?
Is that the correct order.

Somehow my gut tells me it would make sense to loosen the top nut first a bit, before loosening the clip.

But thanks so far for the feedback - much appreciated. I would hate myself if I would ruin a perfectly good headset.
Cheers, Rogier

Back