Another Carlton frame - which one is this? Rebadged Raleigh?

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Here's another one for you.
This is on ebay.co.uk and has been advertised as a 531 Carlton bike from 1978.
Serial: WA 8005533

I cannot find this model on the '77 catalogue (which I presume has the same models as '7:cool:

The serial points to Worksop 1978, but the look of the bike with those braze ons on the top tube, the Suntour rear dropouts, the Canti hangers, looks like a Raleigh Supercourse from 1978 - but the forks are different.
The headbadge is also out of place for this period.

Is this a Frankenstein resprayed Raleigh?

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Defo' been resprayed just by looking at the rear drop outs and the most thing that has made me chuckle is the routing of the gear cable :LOL:

Midlife":2acps9sd said:
The frame looks like an early 1978 Corsair.

Shaun

Shaun were the Suoer Course (US) and the Corsair basically the same frame?

I think that they were, even down to the odd Suntour stepped rear dropouts. They messed about with what came chromed. The Corsair always has half chromed forks for that era. Not sure about the Super Course.

Nice frames for a light tourer, which is what the Corsair was, or a "Demi - Course" as Carlton called it, not a tourer LOL

Shaun

Midlife":3fbvowhm said:
I think that they were, even down to the odd Suntour stepped rear dropouts. They messed about with what came chromed. The Corsair always has half chromed forks for that era. Not sure about the Super Course.

Nice frames for a light tourer, which is what the Corsair was, or a "Demi - Course" as Carlton called it, not a tourer LOL

Shaun

Thanks Shaun!

I guess the USA Raleigh badged models were Carlton in the UK?

Strangely, Carlton made bikes in the USA were badged as a Raleigh but with a "Handmade by Carlton" Decal somewhere on the frame.

Here in the UK there were 100% Carlton stickers on the frame but some of the chainsets and mechs were Raleigh branded.

Shaun

Back