vintage campy jockey wheels

twolegs

Old School Hero
does anybody know if the vintage campagnolo rear derailleur jockey wheels are supposed to look "worn down"? im not sure if the one i have has worn jockey wheels or not, some fellow cyclists suggest they may be designed that way, and not particularly worn?

ive listed them on ebay, sold as seen, but im more curious now than anything else

i would include a picture but its a pain on here

twolegs":3q5nvqyp said:
does anybody know if the vintage campagnolo rear derailleur jockey wheels are supposed to look "worn down"? im not sure if the one i have has worn jockey wheels or not, some fellow cyclists suggest they may be designed that way, and not particularly worn?

ive listed them on ebay, sold as seen, but im more curious now than anything else

i would include a picture but its a pain on here

without a picture it's hard to tell but the early Campag.Gran Sport derailleurs from the 1950's had steel jockey wheels that were round with no teeth.....many later derailleurs from the early 1960's onwards had plastic jockeys which did wear with high mileage

Attachments

• Gran Sport (2).jpg
    Gran Sport (2).jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 490
Re:

great thanks for clearing that one up.. ive just checked and they are steel.. so thats my answer

Re:

ive included that info now in my auction.. there are some pics on this if you want to see.. they are steel.. ive just checked them with a magnet..i knew it was an old derailleur.. but didnt think it was 1950's

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Campa ... 1888974329?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
your Campagnolo Gran Sport version was available from 1952 and continued in production in that form with steel jockey wheels until the arrival of the modified and improved Campagnolo Record derailleur in 1963

Re: campagnolo gran sport vintage

That's good information, thanks for that. Very interesting.i was wondering how the original owner got enough traction with such "worn " jockey wheels, I'm still thinking they would be more prone to chain slippage

Re:

The tension rollers started smooth, but after a couple of years in all weathers would look decidedly toothy.

All they do is tension up the slack chain, and have been known to still work on seized bearings in bad weather, the chain just slipping over them.

No traction involved.

Keith

Back