Italian BB threading - troublesome?

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Contemplating buying a road frame with an Italian BB shell - using a modern sealed cartridge unit rather than an old-school BB set with loose bearings, would that eliminate much of the bother I've read about as regards drive-side cups coming unscrewed during rides? Likewise, does plumber's Teflon tape on BB threads help at all?

Thanks in advance for info.

David

Never seen piles of Colnagos, Bianchi, Viner and the like abandoned at the side of the road with the drive side BB loose :)

Mind you, that was the 70's LOL

Shaun

Re:

It's possible to add a little thread lock compound if you're worried, but do it up nice and tight and the cup should stay put...

Re:

If the right hand cup isn't tight enough it will come loose, so tighten it as much as possible then a bit more and you should be ok :)

Re:

I would have thought there was more chance of an English BB coming loose, as the pedalling motion is against the left hand thread tightening action

Not sure why every one thinks this an italian thread problem ??

It's to do with precession, the force is always opposite to the direction of motion so on the drive side a right hand Italian thread tends to have a force undoing it. Sounds all wrong but correct according to my A Level Physics.

Shaun

I've got a double right-hand threaded BB in my track bike and it's never come undone. I wouldn't worry about it.

Back