Road lights...dazzling drivers problem!

wookiee

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi guys,

I am having issues with my off road lights being used on the road! Even when I tilt them so they are hitting a few meters ahead of me I get flashed by oncoming cars.

This light even on low beam with a DIY handlebar mount that allow me to pan and tilt (but it is very flooded):

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CREE-XM-L-U2- ... Sw3ydVlfgR

This light from Lezyne, more spotted and again on its lowest setting...

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/lezy ... prod122418

What have been your experiences with lights and drivers? Any thoughts, recommendations or experiences appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
True, I'm a driver but I accept that a bright light makes me aware that you are there and won't run you over.

Let them get over it.

Shaun

Midlife":i074jk03 said:
True, I'm a driver but I accept that a bright light makes me aware that you are there and won't run you over.

Let them get over it.

Shaun

I too am a driver but I also want to be a considerate rider...I had a Bus hoot and flash me tonight! Are there any lights that are more suited to the road??

A solution to your problem may lay in the past… Remember when we had our lights mounted on the forks.
I would fabricate a bracket to mount the lights on the forks thus reducing the height of the beam putting it below bonnet level and hey presto no dazzle and road lit up like a christmas tree.

kingbling":29kgui2f said:
A solution to your problem may lay in the past… Remember when we had our lights mounted on the forks.
I would fabricate a bracket to mount the lights on the forks thus reducing the height of the beam putting it below bonnet level and hey presto no dazzle and road lit up like a christmas tree.

Thats not a bad idea!

Re:

I use the single beam versions of both of those Doug. Not had any real issues, only use the flash setting at sketchy junctions/filtering, etc.

The Cree one you use is my night-time, off-road, fast section light, so may be a bit much on the road mate.

I don't point the lights at drivers' eye level. After all, I don't want to give anyone temporary blindness and crash as a result.

At the end of the day though, literally, I want to be seen and not have some half-wit take me out.

Responsible, Doug? Surely not, you must be getting old mate! :LOL: ;)

Mike

Re:

I use a maxx d on the handlebars which is bright but more of a flood
and then a Diabolo with piggyback battery on my helmet...lol
its a useful combo as I have had no end of drivers pull out of junctions in front of me and with the helmet mount you can give them a quick and I mean quick flash of light as you approach them.
The other option is stay off road and that way you will avoid becoming an arsehole roadie :D

I think its more of a case of 'Oh thats bright' then he's past you. Same goes for the ones who seem to leave their hi beams on.
And if its that then car lights, especially these new led ones are really dazzling.

Be safe be seen. Be seen by being noticed. :?
I suppose if you are directly behind someone, changing from flashing to constant is the thing to do.

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":d0pazpwq said:
I use the single beam versions of both of those Doug. Not had any real issues, only use the flash setting at sketchy junctions/filtering, etc.

The Cree one you use is my night-time, off-road, fast section light, so may be a bit much on the road mate.

I don't point the lights at drivers' eye level. After all, I don't want to give anyone temporary blindness and crash as a result.

At the end of the day though, literally, I want to be seen and not have some half-wit take me out.

Responsible, Doug? Surely not, you must be getting old mate! :LOL: ;)

Mike

Yeah to be honest the Cree light is my offroad blat it light...but the Lezyne I thought would be fine, but still gets attention... I may not be so responsible...maybe more considerate, as I am a driver too! I have seen more than a few cyclists with poorly adjusted lights that really dazzle drivers...

Re: Re:

captaincosmic":6zc8un47 said:
I
The other option is stay off road and that way you will avoid becoming an arsehole roadie :D

That sounds the ideal solution however when I get to ride is between 19.30-21.00! And I ride on my own and fear the woods on my own!

Back