1964 Moulton Standard - Chainset issue ...

• Thread starter Deleted member 24574
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 24574

Here it is ...

************************/images/moulton/bike-before.jpg

In bits

************************/images/moulton/in-bits-1.jpg

More bits

************************/images/moulton/in-bits-2.jpg

Just chainset to go ... and I'm stuck

************************/images/moulton/frame.jpg

I am not sure what to do with the chainset/ BB.

When I spin the chainset it is not straight; but how do I remove the chainset and BB; I am not familiar with this type ...

************************/images/moulton/bb-1.jpg

I have tried removing that nut that is on the cotter pin bolt but the bolt is stuck fast ... I have given it some encouragement with a rubber mallet but it is not shifting

************************/images/moulton/bb-2.jpg

Re: Re:

royboy2cv":k6lgoqs8 said:
I just got to say that looks sweet and full suspention :cool:

Yep; front & rear sus all working perfectly.

Bike has really cleaned up well apart from the rack which is well tatty so that will be repainted.

Take the nut off the end of the pin and then tap out the pin by holding a steel bolt on the threaded end and tapping with a metal hammer. Shock should break it free.

The pin is a wedge that only comes out one way.

As an aside, steel chainrings bend quite easily, indeed many left the factory bent. Easiest to realign the chainring whilst on the bike with a lenght of steel (drift) or big screwdriver as a lever.

Shaun

one-eyed_jim":yw8kxmon said:

Thanks; read that ... I'm wondering if I will end up breaking something that works fine as it is.

The chainset is a bit wonky; how does this attach; is it part of the right crank which seems to be fine ... perhaps the chainset is just warped/bent???

one-eyed_jim":yw8kxmon said:
Your Moulton looks to be in amazing condition for a fifty year old!

It is in great shape; and will be even better when it is done; ordered new tyres and cables (ribbed type) and have given it a good clean an polish. Just need to repaint the rack and find a Middlemores saddle, and new glass for the headlight.

Generally the crank is straight, just the ring itself which is out of true, try persuading it into line :)

Shaun

Midlife":2lbh0ggk said:
Generally the crank is straight, just the ring itself which is out of true, try persuading it into line :)

Shaun

I shall ...

Given that I'm wonder what is to be gained trying to remove those cotter pins ... if I end up mashing them up I doubt I could replace them without buying another bike ... which would likely have the same issues. ...

Back