All going wrong - rear mech attachment Q

Ajoten

Old School Hero
I repeatedly buy the wrong thing (tears of frustration here :cry: )

Can somebody tell me what early 80s French mechs could screw into a gear hanger instead of being bolted on from the other side?

Re:

All the ones I've found of those brands are either attached with an adapter claw (like I got duh) or are designed to work with the unthreaded hanger.

Although I just read that Huret made some for the threaded version (Campag?).

Does anyone know of specific models (not just Huret) that might work?

Re:

Most French bikes had the type you have with a separate hanger. Its why alot of frame builders used Campag dropouts. What bike have you got?

I thought I had a 1978 Peugeot. Then I thought I had a 1988 Peugeot. Now I'm not so sure it's a Peugeot at all.

When i got it none of the components matched. It had a 90s Dura Ace rear mech installed so think the hanger might have been tapped at a later stage... I've just sold the DA mech in order to put something more authentic in, and the bargain Simplex I got has the claw malarkey. I didn't know about claws until yesterday. So I thought about taking the claw off but realised the pivot bolt would be too narrow for the hanger. I only found out about French style unthreaded hangers this morning.

Round and round and round I go.

Re:

I'm no expert with anything French but I have an 80s Peugeot, i think simplex gears on it? Will have to check. Have you any pictures? Someone might recognize it.

It seems to me that what you need to do is find the frame number and ask for help on here to identify the make n model of your bike frame from it then you will find it easier to sort out the parts for it ;) ..

Entry level Motobecane; definitely claw.
motobecane-nomade-2144_3.jpg

Image off of ebay, claws though should be reasonably inexpensive. I'd think some co-ops or lbs's might have them lying around.
$_35.JPG
rdF35.jpg

I thought most of the problems with French "retro-fitting" measurements was over by the late seventies, surely, this problem can be overcome without much trouble.

adaptorclaw.gif

Article on "drop outs" http://www.mytenspeeds.com/My_TenSpeeds ... 3_Page.htm

Don't understand - I don't want one with a claw, that's the point. I have a mech with a claw that I didn't realise was the wrong thing till the last couple of days.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... p;t=334888

So being unable to date it I was trying to kit it out as something pre 1987 to qualify for l'Eroica. But as time wears on I'm thinking that's impossible.

Latest posts

Back