Identify these parts please ? Campag, simplex, stronglight.

paul8valve

Devout Dirtbag
Hi folks, I've picked up a vitus 979 frame to build a sean kelly tribute bike and some parts were included.

Can anyone shed any light on what they are as I'm no expert on non-shimano stuff.

Also, any tips on where I'd pick up a 979 fork to fit this 57cm frame?

thanks in advance, Paul.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 772
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 772
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 772
Yep, as above really, the Campag levers are stamped and not embossed so after my era :)

Eclectic mix of stuff ! Brakes look like Shimano I could take off your hands as they were made while Mr Kelly was in nappies LOL

Shaun

Some components discussion at the dedicated Trek fansite: http://vintage-trek.com/component_dates.htm

This might get you going into the correct direction: Simplex Front Mech or Derailleur, http://www.bikerecyclery.com/simplex-su ... -slj-mint/ Does it not look like this, a Simplex Super LJ a500 Front Derailleur. I don't see the embossed S though on the picture on this page. It appears that that data Super LJ will be on the front mech.

Yes, those brakes do look a bit Shimano, Shimano 600 in fact.

Replacement forks, ouch: unfortunately cost, I've looked into it.

Somehow, even taking care of my bike, the salty sea air seems to have lent a bit of corrosion only to the chromed part of the fork, the rest of the bike is fine. I contemplate it some but it seems to hold up.

Pedals look like Campagnolo Xenon (a short-lived 90s Gruppo) whereas the RD is Nouvo Gran Sport from the 70s.

I think the levers might be Super Record from the 80s but stand to be corrected on that. Also think that the lever surrounds to the frame aren't Campag.

HW

Those brakes too, do look a bit like Dia Compe. Vintage, because of the hanger deal on the brake blocks/shoes/pads and also, the lever (to open it up wider), I was looking into my brake box today.

F1E9490E-639E-4B41-BD84-B9CFB467B824.jpeg

(this style some, not this exact brake though it's actually pretty close)

My fault for being premature. :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back