Clip headset bodgery

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
Got a Dawes from that originally had a clip headset. Some bits went missing when the bike was nicked and didn't reappear when I found the frame in the wood after 18 months. As there are top and bottom "races" to receive a drop in race top and bottom a normal headset can't be used. I have the lower drop in bit but not the top. I don't have the crown race and this is causing problems as all the other that I have tried just don't match the profile.
Any one ever bodged something else in?
I could grind down a sealed bearding to match the drop in race and use them, much like a modern headset but the likely hood of getting them to match the frame perfectly is bugger all.. Could chop the frame at the top and treat it like a normal frame and press in a top race but that seems a shame. The lower half wouldn't work as the down tube would foul it.
Just wondering if anyone has ever found a way around such a situation.

The races you need were probably for 1/8 balls, and the same as those used in millions of roadster type bikes. They were very cheap. Perhaps an old scrap bike which does not have inserted "Continantal" type or Raleigh head set.

Keith

Re:

Got a few head clips and parts of of ebay. Not that expensive unless Chater Lea or new old stock.
Bike jumble or as Keith says look out for an old frame or bike with one.

Simon

Re:

I have a clip type set . 2 bearing races and the top clip . I also have new bearings for it . PM me if you need more info .

£15 the lot .

I've just done mine and I can confirm what Keith has said - that the races, balls and threads are the same in a roadster type headset.

I've got some spare bits left over. I'll pm you...

Back