Vintage touring bike... What make is it ?

vcballbat

Senior Retro Guru
Anyone got any idea who made this. Looks 30's to me and has full chrome forks and rear triangle under that thick blue paint. Thought maybe an Evans but lugs and fork crown look too fancy.

Nice bike, no idea what it is. Love the brakes, but is it bent? Top and down tube look bent and head angle looks very steep? Or is it all just camera angles?

Re:

Resilion brakes and a headclip headset say pre or post war. If you clean up the Sturmey rear hub it should be dated. Any numbers on the frame or fork crown? Cant see the head lugs closely but does look like its bent?

Simon

Re:

If the hubs too rusty then there should be a date number on the Williams chainring. Can help date it but could have been changed at some point in its life. The fork crown detail I've seen and can't remember. Lugs look like Ekla but can't find exactly. Tops of the seat stays unusual. Is it lightweight?

Simon

The seat stay top eyes are brazed to the ears on the cast seat lug. You are not old enough to remember these Simon.

The head angle has gone up by about 4 degrees, what a pity.
Typical 1938/39, but the same components were use early post war, and by perhaps a hundred frame builders.

Do not pay to have it painted with that bend in the top and down tubes. Either pull the front forward by lying on the floor and pulling the front wheel, or spend a fortune on it. If you do the first it is unlikely to make it worse, but may not be completely straight. I used to perform this trick free of charge in the 50s for people who relied on their bike to get to work. It was cheaper than shoe leather or buses.

Keith

Re:

Yeah its had a smack...should turn a bit quicker.... Got 44 below shield on chain ring. No number on bb or top of seat tube. Nothing below patent on hub...cheers guys.

Re:

Your right Keith I don't but seem to have drifted into 30s and 40s bikes. Or they've found me? :)

Simon

Re:

There should be some letters above the 44 and under the Williams logo on the chainring. Will be quite small. On the top of the seat tube on the right is there anything, a number or letter under a tonne of paint?

Simon

Re:

Hi, a difficult one, the ekla lugs were very popular in middle/late 40's, I've seen that deep filed top of the stay, in some North/East East London frames, have you checked for numbers on the BB or drop out, also, the brake bridge was used by a few builders at this time, Grubb and Hills Special come to mind, just some thoughts. Terry

Re:

That's what your looking for with the Williams chainring if you can see it? A T on this one is a 1954 one. I see its got a chain hanger on the right rear seat stay. Detail on the rear dropouts where the seat stays join is a clue.
Grubbs serial numbers were on the head tube at the top and rear of the fork crown.
Like Oldtel says many makers were around London and could be anyone. MacLean jumped to mind at first. I've got a 37 and all Brampton lugs and parts. Hill special possibly Hawkes too but just ideas. No headbadge holes so a transfer for a maker. The joys of investigating :)

Simon

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_57compressed.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_Windows Phone_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_$_57compressed.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 703
Back