"Rat" cyclocross / winter trainer

drotos.toth

Old School Hero
I'd liket to convert an older (and cheaper) trekking bike to winter trainer, and maybe secondary cyclocross bike. (Drop bar, etc...)

I've to options at the moment: a Peugeot Berkeley or a Bottechia.

What do you think about the conversion? Which one would you choose? Why?

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• bottecchia.png
    bottecchia.png
    127 KB · Views: 392
  • Peugeot_Berkeley.JPG
    Peugeot_Berkeley.JPG
    118.8 KB · Views: 392
Re:

I logged in to say exactly the same thing.
After that I would go for the nicer frame and then take the best bits off both and rebuild what's left into another bike.
Check that any gear shifters you intend to fit will work with the mechs fitted.

Probably bar-end shifters are easiest, as you don't have cable stops which will take an adjuster. If you go for indexed front shifting you will need an inline cable adjuster.

I'd pick the one with the shorter top tube as the drop bars give a longer reach.

Sure, but they are nearly identical, and I have to buy a new stem, too.

After that I would go for the nicer frame and then take the best bits off both and rebuild what's left into another bike.

And which frame is nicer? :)

Probably bar-end shifters are easiest, as you don't have cable stops which will take an adjuster. If you go for indexed front shifting you will need an inline cable adjuster.

I'd like to use these shifters: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-Handlebar ... B001L5Y1GC

Absolutely no cyclocross experience here but I'd imagine you'd want a light strong frame with lots of clearance for tyres & mud.

WilliamC":1jup8k7z said:
Absolutely no cyclocross experience here but I'd imagine you'd want a light strong frame with lots of clearance for tyres & mud.

Sure... but in the other hand, the (too) long chainstays are a bit laggy and slow in tight turns. And the relaxed forks aren't perfect for fast steering. I had a few cx bikes, but now the project is a good and cheap winter bike, which I could use as a spare bike in CX events, too. So it has to be an all rounder, not a racing machine. :)

Back