Help identifying old Claud Butler

Losgaintir

Devout Dirtbag
Please see my earlier thread "New member from Essex" (pre posting images) for more information.
I am particularly interested in the Frame /Fork combination, as probably everything else is newer (1960,s)?
Hope these images help and I do have few more detail shots if required
Colin

Attachments

• P1010286.JPG
    P1010286.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 659
  • P1010288.JPG
    P1010288.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 659
  • P1010289.JPG
    P1010289.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 659
  • P1010290.JPG
    P1010290.JPG
    177.3 KB · Views: 659
  • P1010291.JPG
    P1010291.JPG
    178.4 KB · Views: 659
From memory only, the first price CB post war was Jubilee model bronze welded.
The bottom bracket cup and lock ring look like a Ralaeigh 26 TPI, I wouls expect 24 threads per inch.

Keith

Re:

Hello Keith,
I have already viewed the "Jubilee" model on the V.C.C. on-line library catalogue and there are lot more features that my bike does not have, than those it does. Namely, no Brake cable stops under top tube, no gear lever boss on down tube,
no CB special guide tube under bracket for exposed gear cable, no adjuster stop on right hand chain stay, no oval section fork blades, no 27" wheels and no chrome fork crown.
Sorry, but many thanks for your help
Colin.

Re:

A few more images to keep the pot boiling and if anyone needs particular images, I will be very happy to oblige

Attachments

• P1010298.JPG
    P1010298.JPG
    137.8 KB · Views: 635
  • P1010296.JPG
    P1010296.JPG
    111 KB · Views: 635
  • P1010297.JPG
    P1010297.JPG
    128.5 KB · Views: 635
  • P1010294.JPG
    P1010294.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 635
Re:

The hub gear should have a date on the shell.
Your frame would be a typical general purpose and club rider's bike from early post war. Probably had a front brake and fixed wheel. Catalogues were just an indication, not law.
In those days my bike was my sole method of transport.

The conloy rims seem to have had little use, as the brake blocks used to carve grooves in them.

Keith

Re:

Conloy or constrictor rims very desirable Colin! Bicycles could be ordered with any spec at the time. Pictures were just a guide. Looks like a good project. Think late 40s. Are the wheels 26"? Any numbers on the rear dropouts?

Simon

Re:

Hello Simon,
Yes, the wheels/tyres are 26" x 11/4".
Do you think that they might be original to the frame, as other people are suggesting late 1940,s for that?
If they are original, from your comment, it would appear to be a good idea to build new wheels, using these rims.
As is apparent in the photos, they are lightly corroded. What might the best treatment be to help preserve them?
Sorry for all the daft questions, I know very little about classic bikes, but am very keen to learn.
Colin

Re:

Hi Colin,
the rims will polish up very well and I would definitely keep them. You could do them by hand but a machine polish is better. I have a few pairs of 26s and 27s. Classic rims are 32 hole fronts and 40 hole rears. Use 15/17 gauge double butted spokes in stainless steel or rustless if you want more faithful and less bling. Spokes should have washers so keep them when rebuilding. Find a good wheel builder if you cant
As Keith said the Sturmey hub should be dated but could be a later addition?
Check out Classic lightweights website for information on part and the rims!
A GB stem and dropped handlebars with GB brake handles would be a good choice if you wanted.
Check bearings and bearing surfaces on BB and hubs and if ok re-pack with grease or new bearings.
What front hub have you got Colin? Any makers name on there?

Simon

Re:

Just noticed the saddle and looks like a Raleigh Grifter saddle? A Brooks or something similar would be more in keeping. Someone would buy the Grifter saddle I'm sure! Collectable tanks lol.

Simon

Back