Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Anyone here see it yesterday?

I don't watch much cyclocross racing, but this one seemed particularly, er, sh-t!
Seemed to be trying to make it funky by, da, da, da, running it a night :roll: :facepalm:
Too much grass, no off camber stuff, and Mrs Muz commented there was more sand on an emery board! Which I thought was funny :LOL: :LOL:
I really couldn't sit through all of it, such was it's boringness factor

Mike

Re:

Seen some photos of the course and it looks like they built it out of stuff you can buy in B&Q.

Up til now it looks like the Americans can't organise a cross race to save their lives. They made a right pig's ear of the World Championships a couple of years ago too. The filming was awful too.

They should focus on getting the courses right, not on all that woo-woo-yeah-yeah-USA shite.

Proper Belgian cyclocross is much more watchable, they try to make the most of the different types of course available. Always look forward to the season at this time of year.

Re:

Well at least they're consistent then, the filming in the World Road Race champs at the weekend was pretty shocking too ! :facepalm:
When does the cross season start then? I mean the proper European racing ! :LOL:

Already been a couple of minor races, unfortunately I've not had time to watch much. It's been a tradition to go and watch one of the local races the past couple of years. Even got to ride part of the course once (they left the gates open and a few people sneaked in).

Re:

Are they all shown on Eorosport? And where did you ride John?

Don't know about Eurosport, I'm afraid. They are mostly all shown live on Belgian TV (Sporza) - cross is as big as football here so it's got a mainstream audience. Maybe you can find a livestream online.

That course was round the army base in Leuven where I used to live. It was a race called the Soudal Classics Leuven, a minor race but you still get the big names coming out, Nys, Pauwels, quite a few foreigners.

Re:

Cool ! Will keep a lookout for coverage over here.

Soudal? As in the team, Lotto Soudal ?

I think so, they are a manufacturer of glue and similar stuff, they've become quite active in cycling the past few seasons.

It's worth seeing at least one Belgian cross race if you get the chance. The atmosphere in the beer tent afterwards is pretty special too :D

Re:

I think I'll head for the frites and mayonnaise first John! :LOL: :LOL:

I watched Cross Vegas and thought it was not too bad. It is now the first round of the world cup, whereas its been going for a few years and the Europeans generally go for the early season workout/training. I must admit that in past years it has been better. I watched the highlights on Eurosport as I missed the live coverage due to time. The UCI website shows most of the cross races live on their website as well from memory. I know you can watch all the US racing and also extended European coverage on the US site that Jeremy Powers has been running for a few years. I will try and find the link in my favourites on my hard drive. I have just the last few weeks installed a new computer with windows 10 and have yet to put everything across. I think the site is BTV or such and you can watch live or afterwards on demand for all their races and they are pretty good with it as well considering it started very small. Eurosport for all the European races :) The coverage of Cross Vegas was poorer than recent years and I think this is down to the fact it is the homogenised version from the UCI rather than the previous stuff from BTV. I wouldn't judge the US scene based on last nights Cross Vegas as 1: its doing it a disservice and 2: you will miss out on some good racing as the season goes on in the US.
Just my observations ;)

Jamie

Back