What bottom bracket size for a TA crank on 5 speed

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
What's the correct bottom bracket size for a 5 speed set up 49T front ring on TA 170mm 3 pin 116 BCD crank?

My current one is 130mm spindle - Current is 40T cottered crank (170mm 116bcd) single speed)

Cheers

Anyone help?
I measured the current spindle and it measures ~ 129 or 130mm
Specialités TA Professional 3-arm
http://velobase.com/ViewComponent.aspx? ... AbsPos=317

I understand cottered Bottom Bracket spindles are quite a bit longer.
Can't make head nor tails of Sheldons website - I is thick I think.

So I guess it'll be a shorter spindle - but I can't find anyone or anywhere on the Web where it tells me what size BB for these cranks.

Do I read this right, you are swapping a cottered crank for a TA cotterless 5 speed crank and want a bottom bracket?

Have you got a PIC of the new crank you want to fit?

Shaun

Re:

I've worked it out now.
I found this:
main.php

It's the same Crank (already fitted to 44T single ring) (Will replace that with 49T)

And here it has the BB spindle length size listed for "Plateu Simple" which I think a Single ring? = 111.5

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The length seems right as 112 is a sort of guide length, do you have a TA BB of that length?

Shaun

Midlife":2ptks03t said:
The length seems right as 112 is a sort of guide length, do you have a TA BB of that length?

Shaun

The only BB I have is a cottered Brampton with a 130mm Phillips Spindle.
Had to ditch that as there was play in it even after a careful service and the cups were marked so smooth as a grinder.

So no BB for this at all yet until I work out which size.

It's square tapered so am looking for a Phil Wood.

I think you may need to source a correct TA BB as I think the taper is quite individual and not the same as Shimano or Campag etc. TA made a couple of axle lengths (or possibly 3?) for single, double and/or triple chainsets. Possibly a Stronglight BB may be suitable but someone more qualified than me needs to confirm this!

Sorry to be a bit vague :roll: :facepalm:

Old Ned":1avoav5r said:
I think you may need to source a correct TA BB as I think the taper is quite individual and not the same as Shimano or Campag etc. TA made a couple of axle lengths (or possibly 3?) for single, double and/or triple chainsets. Possibly a Stronglight BB may be suitable but someone more qualified than me needs to confirm this!

Sorry to be a bit vague :roll: :facepalm:

Hi

I'm pretty sure TA cranks use square taper ISO - I haven't read or heard anything to the contrary

TA were normal ISO taper but at the narrower end of the taper if that makes sense. Campag cranks on TA BB's tended to start to bottom out but would fit OK. TA cranks on Campag BB's also fitted but stuck out a bit.

Stronglight were a bit odd at times and I'm sure they were an individual size, rather like Suntour they had their own ideas about sizes.

As with a lot of kit of this generation its a matter of trial and error :(

Shaun

Latest posts

Back