96 Marin Sausalito skip find

Kins

Dirt Disciple
So I was walking the dogs a few weeks ago and saw a bike in a skip, hoicked it out to find a very shabby bike which had been rattle can sprayed very badly but other than that looked pretty good nick. Very complete except no grips and no saddle.

Took it home and further investigation led me to a very stuck seat post which the previous owner had made a botched attempt to remove. Will probably have to chemically remove it

So yesterday finally got round to have a proper look at it and find out what it was. No frame decals at first glance as it had been resprayed but removing the chain guard protector sticker revealed it was originally silver. The bars have a very faded Marin decal on them and the frame looked Marin style (used to have a Muirwoods)

Further investigation with the frame number led me to the Marin Frame number identification thread here in the mountain bike section and confused me totally FE6GSE034. With help from the Marin Catalogue section and Bikepedia I think its a 96 Sausalito, only year they used Araya PX-635 rims though the frame colour is wrong. All the other retained components seem to match up though.

http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... &Type=bike

Just have to take off Cranks and bottom bracket today and thats it stripped.

Anyway, enough waffle, anyone have any experience with these bikes? Seems a light and sturdy hybrid.

After further investigation, and realising that the bar stem has been resprayed black, when in actual fact its turquoise underneath, leads me to think this is a 96 Stinson which had the PX-635 rims as well.

Though the equipment doesn't all seem to add up.

RD-M291
FC-M291
FD-M291

SRT 300i-71 (7 speed)
SRT 300i-32 (triple)

Tektro Brake levers
Tektro 868A Cantilevers

Back