Stupid question

dan73uk

Senior Retro Guru
I have Mavic Ma2 Argent 700c wheel's which currently have 28mm tyres.
I want to change the tyres and would like to know what are the smallest and largest width tyre's I can run on these wheels.
Thanks very much.

I think MA2 are a similar width and profile to MA40; I've ridden MA40 with 22/23 up to 25. Never ridden 28 on them - that is probably max.

Re: Re:

gavr":hrjsyakh said:
I used to ride 22s on them back in the late eighties - Vittoria Georgias usually

I used them too! The 19mm ones were very narrow and small section. Every bump was felt!

Depends on pressure too. I run 32 and 35 vs tyres on open pro, which is 16mm internal. But rarely with more than 35 psi......

Re:

I'm looking at high pressure, fast tyres for a road bike and i think the 28's are a bit sluggish.

The quality of the tyre will make more difference to speed than the size. i.e. high quality, high tpi 28s at the right pressure will be quicker than cheap nasty OE 23s at a higher pressure.

So if its crappy heavy 28s, they will feel sluggish.

Most of the big brands have a few tyres in their range that would fit the bill.
I've tried challenge, vittoria and Michelin recently and found that getting a top end model or colour from a couple of years ago gives you 99% of the performance of this year's state of the art for about 20% of the cost.
Must of the German retailers, or on one/planet x are good places to start your search!

Back