Is this cracked?

ededwards

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Doing some routine cleaning yesterday I spotted what looks like a crack at the b/b. With a fingernail it feels more than just paint deep although will obviously need to remove the paint to be sure.

I'm fearing the worst and dreading the thought of what would surely be an expensive repair and repaint but can anyone offer words of reassurance?

Attachments

• P9130380.JPG
    P9130380.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 871
Re:

Spray with WD40, then wipe off. If it's cracked then movement as you ride will leave a dirty residue again.
I've had a few frames go there in the past. Hope it's just the paint Ed

Mike

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":3dgxon9g said:
Spray with WD40, then wipe off. If it's cracked then movement as you ride will leave a dirty residue again.
I've had a few frames go there in the past. Hope it's just the paint Ed

Mike

Thats a smart advice! Will remeber that

Re:

The rattle of frame tube/joint failure is a sound that is unmistakable to me. Due to it's steelness.

R.I.P. Peugeot 531 number 1 and 2. Raleigh Equipe. Lemond 853. Chas Roberts SLX/EL mix (twice ! ).

Mike

Crack confirmed by the LBS today.

I'd already e-mailed IF and they suggested that if it was indeed cracked I should get back in touch with them and they sould sort it out.

Fingers crossed!

Re: Re:

Mike Muz 67":o298t0uo said:
R.I.P. Peugeot 531 number 1 and 2. Raleigh Equipe. Lemond 853. Chas Roberts SLX/EL mix (twice ! ).

Mike
Really? You must be quite harsh with your bikes. Or heavy (Sorry)?
Its just that most on here celebrate the durability of steel and verbally trash carbon as "here today, gone tomorrow"

Ive only ever had one frame go and that was a Mk1 Rockhopper MTB back in the early 90's, which specialized replaced FOC

Re:

pigman":350hk1lk said:
Mike Muz 67":350hk1lk said:

Mike
Really? You must be quite harsh with your bikes. Or heavy (Sorry)?
Its just that most on here celebrate the durability of steel and verbally trash carbon as "here today, gone tomorrow"

Ive only ever had one frame go and that was a Mk1 Rockhopper MTB back in the early 90's, which specialized replaced FOC
Not at all.
I'm 6'4" and around 77kg. Generally 'light' on my equipment

Sorry to hear that Ed :( , hope you get it sorted mate ;)

Back