Has L'Eroica eased its bike rules?

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
I commented on L'Eroica's article on the new Bianchi L'Eroica model on Facebook the other day saying something to the effect that the bike didn't meet the standard and was taken to task by a couple of gentlemen who pointed out that modern components were allowed. I've been building a L'Eroica bike for my wife and bought a L'Eroica "legal" one for myself last year and was certain that the rule in place was that the frame could be new (but must be steel), but that the components must be manufactured pre-87. They did allow that you could modify the gearing - which I assumed meant you could slap some smaller chain rings on the bike and/or tweak the gear range in back.

Am I out to lunch or have they eased up on things for the Asian market?

I thought the only strict requirements were that pedals were clip and strap, gear levers are DT type and the brake cables are non-aero. Anything else is more or less OK, but most parts should wherever possible be pre-87. It's obviously hard to find original tyres, chains, and other parts that need regular replacement or can perish in storage. And the shifter and brake cable requirements more or less rule out most modern parts anyway (from the STI/ergo era onwards at least)

Re:

It's all a bit ambiguous really.

With regard to modern fake vintage bikes, it says they have to be built up with either vintage or reproduction components. I think it's always been that way. But reproduction or replica is very vague: does it include velo orange stuff? Does it just mean steel and alu but not carbon? Anybody's guess really.

It's all getting increasingly depressing though, part of the fun of the event was people finding and building their own bikes with a bit of character and history. But at least the Eroica Bianchi bike is an improvement over the ghastly Anjou Velo Vintage BSO they knocked out a couple of years ago - even Sports Direct would blush at that thing.

Re:

Oh, that's interesting. I don't recall the allowance of reproduction parts - heck I posted a thread about that very thing last year as I was trying to figure out what to do about a crankset for my wife's bike. I ended up finding a nice period correct 110 BCD crank with compact rings on it, but I was quite interested in the Velo Orange crankset because it allowed for even lower gearing while looking the part.

And to think I felt guilty because my L'Eroica bike has Shimano 600ex and I thought the index shifting wasn't pure enough.

So, how do you feel about the L'Eroica bike being a 20 speed? That should take the sting out of those Tuscan hills.

As for the gearing I don't think it's such a big deal really.

After all, triple cranksets have existed for a long time, albeit for touring rather than racing. I think they were even used in the 1950s in the Giro di Lombardia to cope with the dreaded Muro di Sormano.

I suppose there are the blow hards who think it's only authentic to ride around on 46-22 or something mental, but if you can do a bike with lower gears, why not?

Re:

Johnsqual":2ktgvxka said:
And to think I felt guilty because my L'Eroica bike has Shimano 600ex and I thought the index shifting wasn't pure enough.

600Ex just about squeezes inside the 1987 'rule' so no guilt required. The real beauty of it is it just works...

Re:

I saw yesterday that the L'Eroica will retail for £2500 :shock: Their claim being that that is the cost of a vintage Italian bike.

Dunno where they were looking at prices, but I'm pretty sure you can get a genuine and original 1960's/70's/80's quality Italian bike for an awful lot less that £2500. :facepalm:

Re:

2 and a half grand and they can't even do a decent job of wrapping the bar tape... :facepalm:

Attachments

• 11891397_445956078940118_5399257434388844243_o.jpg
    11891397_445956078940118_5399257434388844243_o.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 1,059
Re: Re:

NeilM":2hhjtcg2 said:
I saw yesterday that the L'Eroica will retail for £2500 :shock: Their claim being that that is the cost of a vintage Italian bike.

Snip.

Ooooh, excellent !

Where do I sell mine ?

Latest posts

Back