Have I got myself a Carlton?

Polco

Dirt Disciple
I picked up this battered and well used frame but have no idea what it is. I'm guessing by the wrapover seatstay it might be a Carlton, perhaps a Corsa? Unfortunately I can only make out the last number on the serial under the bottom bracket, the rest has either been scratched off or is under a thick layer of paint. So anyone got any ideas what this is?

Attachments

• P1120390 (Medium).JPG
    P1120390 (Medium).JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 509
  • P1120396 (Medium).JPG
    P1120396 (Medium).JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 509
  • P1120392 (Medium).JPG
    P1120392 (Medium).JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 509
  • P1120397 (Medium).JPG
    P1120397 (Medium).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 509
Carlton Crespera lugs and Carlton wrap around seat stays :)

Shaun

PS Raleigh used this style of frame on some of their Europa's

If the lighter blue paint on the BB shell is original you may well have a Continental from the early 70s.

I've been rubbing down some of the paint and it does appear that it was originally a two tone paint scheme, I also thought the rear mech hanger was quite unusual for the era.

That hanger looks like its been brazed on as an after thought. The dropouts are stamped and only the better frames and cast drop outs had this sort of thing I would have thought.

Re:

Looks to me like the Raleigh octagonal headset, so you will have 26 threads per inch forks and bottom bracket.
Most Raleigh tubing had one inch internal diameter for the seat tube. If you take the forks out you could try them in the seat tube to see if you need more than one inch.
The fork column (steerer) would be one inch.

Keith

I tried an adjustable cup in the regular BSA size and it screwed right in thankfully, haven't removed the forks yet but the headset is nice and smooth. I've rubbed down the paint under the bottom bracket shell and found part of the serial number which is wh4, so looks like its a Carlton alright :)

Back