So glad I saw this...

Dale cannon

Senior Retro Guru
I've been mulling over fitting a set of carbon forks to my Raleigh and was about to pull the trigger on a pair on Columbus Minimals then I saw this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1982-TI-Ralei ... 35efd2db52

So glad I didn't, looks awful to me. The simple beauty of a quill stem is hard to beat.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Re:

Gaah, carbon fork on a steel frame is like having a bath with your wellies on.

I mean the fork is one of the main things that determines how a bike feels to ride, so putting a carbon fork on surely takes out a lot of the distinctive feel of a steel frame.

£1875 for that :( I think he's had his hand on more than a carbon fork ....

I believe looking at that ad that he is a man who knows how to handle himself.........and no doubt he often does :)

Jamie

WTF :shock: , no no no !! not in a million years would i ever be that stupid to ruin the good ride of decent bike and only a numpty would be daft enough to waste money on that :facepalm: ..

Agreed those thick forks and STI's just look wrong. As for the excess steerer, oh dear.
Reading his description he doesn't say what bike it was originally, except it's 531c and had 1Kg forks, he specced and built it up, but from what?

A travesty indeed and I'd be very surprised if the original forks weighed 1kg, more like 750g at most.
He makes a point of saying he's keeping the alloy look but then "upgrades" the Ergos to carbon ones!
Seeing as they aren't any lighter than the alloy version where's the upgrade?

TBH I could live with the modern components on that frame except for the forks and stem, it's real shame, he so nearly got it right.

Mark.

Back