chas roberts frame "Flanders"

weedougie

Retro Newbie
I have just bought an old Roberts bike which I am stripping down and rebuilding. I don't know how old it is - although I guess it's early 80s. Since Roberts has now closed, I don't know if there's any way that I can check on its provenance. Any ideas?

It has "Roberts" built into the frame (although, curiously, not the usual "R" at the top of the forks but the whole word "Roberts"). But the decals don't say "Roberts" but "Flanders".

The frame needs to be shot blasted and resprayed, but I don't want to lose the decals. Does anyone know of somewhere that can make new decals modeled on the originals?
2015-08-25%2018.31.28.jpg

not sure if image embed works, here is a link to the album on flikcr https://www.flickr.com/gp/34394455@N07/U4a339

not sure about the decals although there are many folk who can reproduce them on various vintage forums but it may be worth checking possible frame provenance with Winston Vaz who was a Roberts framebuilder for many years and now has his own frame building workshop alongside his brother Mario Vaz (Vaz Finishes London SE13) who does the shot blasting and resprays

Griff

Re:

Looks like Roberts that has had a respray with the owners choice of decals on it. Lovely colour! Would look great if you could get a set of old Roberts stickers for it.
Get in touch with Gil_m on here. He is well known on the forum for his sticker work !
Looking forward to seeing the finished frameset!

Mike

Very nice. What's the serial number?

Charles ROBERTS
Bicycle frame serial number registry
Roberts frames were apparently sequentially numbered until 1984-85, when a new system began, with the first two numbers represent the year, followed by the month and number of production within the month.

Mine has the same pantograph work.

Back