Dave Yates Frame Building Course

originalshinkicker

rBotM Winner
I traveled from Newcastle to Lincolnshire to spend 5 days with Dave Yates so that I could build my own steel frame. This is something I've wanted to do for a long time and had to wait 2-3 years for a slot to come up on one of Dave's week long courses.

Today was sub assembly day. Lots of hack sawing and filing and putting a few non critically measured tubes together. I'm making a Audax frame with lugs and horizontal top tube together with steel forks.

I think Dave probably has a tube for any use! The workshop is just retro heaven and most jobs are 'by hand'. No design software, no machines to cut mitres, Just good tools and a good eye.

Here are a few pics of what I got through today...

I only picked up one blister today so I musn't have done too badly. Hopefully tomorrow will see some forks coming together.

If anyone has a desire to build a frame, I would highly recommend this!

Attachments

• Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Seat Tube to BB.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Seat Tube to BB.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Rear Dropouts to Chain Stays.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Rear Dropouts to Chain Stays.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Slotted and Curved Ends.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Slotted and Curved Ends.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Rear Dropouts Brazed into Chain Stays.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Rear Dropouts Brazed into Chain Stays.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Cutting and Filing Top Tube Angle.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Cutting and Filing Top Tube Angle.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Lugs Cut.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Lugs Cut.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Venue.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Venue.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,040
  • Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Top Tube and Head Tube Tacked.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 Sub Assembly Top Tube and Head Tube Tacked.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,040
Re:

I like these self build threads ! Looking forward to daily updates ! :cool:

Mike

Currently nursing a huge blister in the pub!

I should be able to take loads more pics tomorrow so will definitely add some updates. Spent most of the day talking about bikes and frames and frame builders and designs and racing and Joe Waugh and others of the 70s and 80s!

Awesome day!

Attachments

• Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 In The Pub.jpg
    Dave Yates Frame Building Course Day 1 In The Pub.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 990
Re:

Wonderful.

I keep saying I must do one of there courses, but my house is over the top of my garage, and I really don't think my insurers would approve of a gas set being used in there.

Hmmmm, never thought if that. My bedroom is over our garage :(

Would love to build a 70's style TT frame as a sibling to my originals....might have to wait until I retire which is 10 plus years away or treat myself as a 60th birthday present in 5 years time. How old is Dave Yates?

Shaun

Back