Identifying my Carlton

Flashspix

Dirt Disciple
I suspect my current Carlton rebuild project is from the late 60s when the numbering went a bit crazy

I have a 6 digit serial number on the Near side stay 111360 and under the bottom bracker there is an " ( X "

Looking at the catalogues from this era and a stack of Google images, I think it may be a Cobra, because after stripping off the paint I discovered the frame is fully chromed, but I am still not 100%, the lugs and headset look like it's a cobra.
p1418629810-4.jpg

Crespera lugs are 1967 to 1974, non Raleigh number so 1972 or before. Interesting :). Not a Cobra, I've had 2. I think it's a late 60's non-catalogue frame that left the workshop by the back door :)

Shaun

Re:

Or a custom build ? Carlton still doing them at this time I think . Our Carlton Spokesman should be along soon.

IIIRC at that time they didn't do full custom frames but some catalogue frames could be altered.

Shaun

I think I've seen this one already on the FB Carlton group, is it fully chromed, sorry I can't tell from the pics. One of the models I was considering it could be was the 60s Corsair I can't be 100% sure if acrylichrome finish was available for this one - it had the same head lug treatment, then again so did the later Criterium, which also had fully chromed forks. Another ideas that struck me also was the Continental of the time had acrylichrome finish... Carlton always do this and throw in a frame or style which doesn't fir the catalogues of the time.

I think due to the non standard 6 digit serial number on the Nearside rear stay, this places it between 68 + 72, I have a catalogue from that era just need to look up on Google, examples of the models close up. (I hope!) yep spokesman we chatted on Cycle Chat, and I have been using some of your ealier posts on there and one of your websites on my research quest. (Great source of knowledge)

I initially thought it was just the head set, forks and part of the top and down tube that were chrome, after a full weekend of sanding, I now think it is all chrome.

Back