Decals on powder coated frames

Pionir

Retro Guru
I'm looking at getting a frame powder coated by Aurora who've had a few recommendations on here. I notice that the H Lloyd Cycles site has a warning about decals often not sticking to powder coat very well. Does anyone have experience of this?

Re:

I had a set of decals made by Gil_M for a Bigfoot mtb that I'd had powder coated, and they have stayed put through some pretty rough use.

Re:

I'm getting my tourer resprayed at the moment and was wondering the same. Reading his site it does sort of imply they may stick, but due tot he fact they're not under any lacquer they may come off get dirt around the edges.

Suppose it depends how fussy you are and the color of the frame/decals as to whether it maters or not.

Can clear acrylic powdercoat be applied over decals?

I'm in two minds, I'd prefer PC as it's for a bike that'll be used everyday and needs to resist being locked up to lampposts etc, and PC is cheap. On the other hand I'd like it to look good!

Re:

I talked to my powder coater and although he's going to put on a clear lacquer coat, he recommended putting the decals on after as their oven can cause problems for plastic / vinyl decals.

I think as well it depends on how smooth the end finish is. With a lacquer coat, hopefully it's nice and smooth so I'm going to just put them on after. The existing Raleigh decals look like they're just stuck ontop of the clear coat and they've lasted pretty well!

Depends how good the powdercoating company is at lacquering. The parts I had done had loads of bubbles in.
Also depends if they dry the lacquer in an oven. Speak to Gil.

Re:

I'd recommend a good paint job.i laqured over the decals as the decal producer recommended,it seals them so they don'tift or get dirty edges.powder coat fills details in lugs etc excessively.best of luck whichever method.

Back