Help identifying a racing bike

detrius999

Retro Newbie
Hi I went to my local bike shop today and accidently bought an old bike as a project, I have no idea what it is or what it is worth. So before stripping it and giving to my daughter to ride I thought it worth seeing if i can find out what it is, and how much i should spend on it. The frame has a sticker saying its a 532 butted frame tubes, it has been painted blue with anti rust paint, so you cannot see any manufactures marks. The bike has Galli brake levers and calipers, spectrum forks a vervar crank. It has a fixed wheel and free wheel set up on the right hand side of the bike, and is single speed and stamped T.D.C. It has a label saying 'Bike Peddle' and address on calthorpe road, London.

I am based in the uk, the guy in the shop had no idea what it was other than the fact it was a reynolds frame, I didn't pay alot, and as i say i just wondered what i have got. It looked sorry for it's self and I am a bit of a softy for something that looks like it was used rather than hung on a wall.

http://s1266.photobucket.com/user/manof ... amp;page=1

I have embedded a link to photos on photo bucket, any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Jamie

Re:

Lack of brake cable guides, downtube shifter bosses and some of the parts say 1970's.

01 phone code for London say no older than the mid 1960's, assuming the sticker was put on the new bike.

More than that I can't help, but if it's 531 it'll be a decent ride, so it well worth some work.

With the back wheel out, what is the distance between the inside edges of the two dropouts? I'm guessing 126mm.

Also, have a look under the bottom bracket shell, on the back of the seatube and on the left hand rear dropout for a frame number, that may give us a clue.

Bike Peddler?
Can vaguely remember them having a small advert in the comic in the 80's

Re:

Hi yes the measurement is 126 once the back wheel is removed, am striping layers of paint off at the moment to see what shows up. That set up with both the freewheel and fixed wheel hub being on the same side, is that something you have seen before? I just ask as I can't find a similiar one any where. it looks like you just stop slacken the back wheel and move the chain across manually.

Re:

I know absolutely nothing about single speed I'm afraid, but there were lots of inventive ideas like that in the past.

Keep us posted what you find as you get through the old paint, not that a maker can be guaranteed. I have a 1970's frame here, and have no idea who made it, but it is a nice quality frame which was probably made in the back of a bike shop somewhere.

Re:

Ok I have founf some numbers on the underside of the crank, a large '5' followed by a smaller '31' stamped into the metal. Does that help id it?

Re:

Could be the frame tube, Reynolds 531 was commonly used in decent quality bikes for many years.

Or it could mean something completely different. :facepalm:

Hopefully someone reading this will be able to shed some light.

Forks look more modern than the frame, the stop for the rear mech cable is under the chainstay, the stays are joined low on the sides of the seat lug which suggests a more mass produced frame.... So a mix of things. !!

However, general use of under bottom bracket cable guides is eighties which is where I'd put it. Aside from that nothing readily springs to mind. The number in the bottom bracket could have been stamped by the shop.

Shaun

Well the frame is stripped and the frame colour wasa mint green quite bright really, can t find any other numbers on it or any other decals.

Back