My (perhaps) Team Raleigh

sunibert

Retro Newbie
Dear Retrobike community,

Almost two years ago I bought a race bike and fell in love with it. It has been a loyal servant for many trips even though it appears to break apart nowadays. It was my first race bike and more like coincidence that I bought it. Now, after being emotionally connected with my little baby I conducted research to find out where it comes from. It appears to be a Raleigh from 1980 according to the serial number. However, I read posts that this frame might be cheap copy (which does not matter too much as i bought it relatively cheap). Maybe one of you could help me and tell me if it is just a copy or an actual team raleigh bike. I don't want to know the value etc. as the emotional value is known to me already. But if you could say what model it is, if it is real I would be really glad! I am very curious and want to know what I am reading, day in day out. It is the lightest bike I have ever seen, however I am not an expert and did never touch any of those carbon race bikes from the 21st century.

In any case, thanks for reading this post and considering to help out a lad, very much appreciated. Have a nice day!!

PS: If any additional details are required, please feel free to ask me. This what I know so far about the bike apart from the frame. It has Weinmann brakes, Suntour7 derailleur, and Atom pedals. The materials appear to be very old, since they already break apart.

j8cnxs977
( if that does not work: http://postimg.org/image/j8cnxs977/

Although the picture is a little unclear it does not look like a Team Pro frame but one of the replicas made for the volume market. Various features - lugs, pressed dropouts with mudguard eyes and the caps on the rear stays. Frame number will be conclusive.

The lugs point to an 80's Europa variant, the brazed on top tube stops with bare cable are unusual for a volume Raleigh.

Still it has the classic Raleigh livery and everyone should have one in their garage.

What's the frame number?

Shaun

I bought the bike for 80 euros in moderate condition. Thanks for your replies! I check the frame number in a few hours and post it, if i am still able to read it. (as far as i remember it was WA and 80 but ill check. :)

Re:

Thank you Shaun! That makes me feel so much better to know it's an original peace. I will never trade it against anything its my first Raleigh! :) Is it still suitable to actually go on longer bike trips?

Have a nice weekend Shaun!

sunibert

Back