Newbie - bear with me....help with frame manufacturer

Neil_B

Retro Newbie
Hi,
I didn't know what I was getting into when I rescued an old steel frame bike from the scrapyard (based in Berkshire, United Kingdom). I've got an ID on most of the parts, but, I really could use a hand on identifying the frame please.

Front wheel [27"x1.25"] - Maillard (France, March 1986) (marked "Maillard 13 86" on hub)
Rear wheel - Marked "W Germany 079" - no clear brand....
Front derailleur - Marked "Shimano FE Product of Singapore"
Rear derailleur - Marked "Shimano 600 RD-6207 VIA Japan" [circa 1984-1986??]
Cranks - Marked "170 Japan SR" "34" on Left crank and "25" on Right crank. Also "81"
Freewheel sprocket - Hub is a Suntour "Perfect" Maeda Industries Japan 5speed "BK" (circa 1985 November??)
Stem - Aluminium ITM 70 (100mm), c.25mm diameter and 170mm top to toe - quill stem with round/cone expander.
Handlebars - British made stamped "GB 021 79" Aluminium.
Brake/suicide levers Stamped "PAT APP 642251" and "LH" and "RH" (clearly left and right)
Brakes - "Chang Star Deluxe Y730"
BB - 68mm shell, bracket stamped "Tange Industries"
Serial number - SO236, or, S0236??
Fork tube (inner is stamped "Akisa 80") and front forks no stamped identifiers.
Seat post - "Stop.....and Made in Taiwan" (!) ; the seat might be leather or suede.
Frame? Help please....My best guesses at the moment; I think it might have been a Viking, or an Asian/Malaysian manufactured frame/forks - around mid-late 1960's. The lack of brazes suggests it might be in this date range, interestingly there's a threaded braze welded onto the front right fork, made for a headlight. The previous owner/s then pimped it up in the early-mid 80's with Shimano stuff.

Hope you can help
Thanks
Neil

Attachments

• bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 521
  • bike 2.JPG
    bike 2.JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 520
  • bike 3.JPG
    bike 3.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 520
  • bike 4.JPG
    bike 4.JPG
    26.5 KB · Views: 521
  • bike 5.JPG
    bike 5.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 521
  • bike 6.JPG
    bike 6.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 520
Thanks very much for those reading my post and looking at the photos. Having searched....a lot, I agree that it's likely to be a Falcon from the late 60's/early 70's. It think red was it's original colour, before being repainted in blue. This past post helped to firm up my conclusion:

viewtopic.php?t=107031

Thanks again for the very helpful pointers.

Back