Toe clip pedal / shoe cleats

NeilM

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
OK, as we all know, old cycling shoes cost an arm and a leg. Also, finding some in the correct size that will fit is difficult enough with new shoes, let alone some that are 20 to 30 years old.

So, I have some NOS AXO shoes from the 80's that are a great fit and will do the job perfectly, even if they don't quite have the right look.

But, the slots in the cleats are presently too narrow for my alloy framed pedals, and looking at lots of shoes on the bay this seems to be the way the cleats were made in order to allow the user to file them to fit.

So, before I take a file to my irreplaceable plastic cleats, have I got that right? Or am I just about to make a complete mess of everything?

The plastic ones that came with my old Detto Pietro shoes from the early 70s were a snug fit on my alloy MKS Sylvan quill pedals. No filing needed there. What sort of year are your cleats from? I'm trying to think whether my steel pedals are the same thickness as my alloy ones.

Re:

I'd say they are 1980's, they would fit steel pedals perfectly, but the slots are too thin for my alloy Lyotard quill pedals.

Shoes0103_zpsh3zl5tj7.jpg

Never found the slots too small. However it would be in keeping with the less "disposable" times to modify something for your use rather than just buy the right thing (if such a thing existed.
How much is too narrow. With a bit of use plastic shoes plates always get a bit sloppy so maybe they will just wear in.

Re:

It's probably only a couple of mm, but at present I cannot 'force' the cleat onto the pedal, even when I take them off the shoes.

My worry is, in comparison to other styles of cleat, there is not much meat on mine, so if I get too enthusiastic with the file I will break through into the slotted section of the cleat.

The alternative is the fabricate an alternative, out of something like plywood. Sounds a bit 1940's, but I'm not sure what other options I have.

Re:

Right, I think I have it covered.

I have bought three sets of what look like solid plastic cleats, that appear to have wider slots. I will know better when they arrive, but I'm pretty certain I can adapt these to fit both my shoes and my pedals.

In the meantime I am just going to use some spare modern road shoes, without any cleats at all.

Back