Rossin chrome bike?

PerB

Old School Hero
Hi

I was writing about my Rossin Ghibli in a Norwegian Vintage bicycle Facebook group the other day. Suddenly I got an offer for an other Rossin.

This Rossin has a chrome frame, it has a full Campa Nuevo Record group and is labelled as a Rossin Record. The bike seems to be of late seventies or early eighties vintage to me.

But after speaking to the man who brought the bike back to roadworthy condition some two-three years back I am in doubt about the correctness of the decals. He got the bike without any decals at all and just purchased the first decal set he could find on internet.

I have not seen any reference to chrome framed Rossins before? Can anyone help me out, the asking price is rather steep for the Norwegian market, but I am tempted, as the bike is very nice.

Re:

Hi

It's 80's. The early Rossins didn't have a stamped "R" on the brake bridge, but had a cylindrical barrel for the bolt to go through. Also the fork crown is later too, as the first Rossins didn't have smoothed crown shoulders and had an "R" in a double/tripple bordered diamond.

Oh! and the rear derailleur cable goes under the BB, which is after about 83/84 for Rossin, but I'll double check that with the one hanging in the shed.

Hope that helps a bit.

Here's a nice one to look at:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Italy/ ... tard89.htm

Re: Chrome Rossin

Thanks for the reply, I have some more details of the bike.

The crank is not Record , but Nuevo Gran Sport, the rear derailleur is marked patent 78.

The bike in question looks very similar to the Rossin Record I found in a catalogue at http://bulgier.net/pics/bike/Catalogs/rossin page four. In this picture the rear gear cable is below the chain stay. The catlouge scan also have the same rear brake bracket and the same simplified logo with only one ring on the fork.

By the way, there are many more photos of the bike in question om my photobucket site.

At the second to last page in the above catalogue scan there is a statement that Rossins may be delivered in Chrome at special order.
Unfortunately, there is no dating in this catalogue, but the model in page two and Three in the Rossin catlouge at Bulgier.net has the later black label Super Record derailleur that I can find in the 82 Olympic catalogue. But VeloBase.com claims that this model Super Record was available from 1979. Based on the above I still belive 79 or 80.

I am going to have a look at the bike tomorrow, but I am not to optimistic. The seller raised the asking price when he gave me the adress tonight. The question is do I realy need another Rossin? I tested the Ghibli the first time this afternoon and the ride was fantastic!

You're being optimistic with the date, as the Rossin that I have in the shed is from 81 and still has the cables over the top of the BB.

For reference the 80's one I have is stamped B17 on the non drive side rear dropout. I'd be interested to know what stamp the chrome one has.

Frame numbers

I bought the Rossin in question. The frame numbers are:
Non driv side dropout.: LR96
Under bottom bracket: 58

Does this make any sence to you out there?

Brg

Pet

Just checked the bike over again, the front derailleur seems to be a Super Record With the black body. And it's a a brace on type thus indicating that the bike might be later in the eigthies as indicated by "bugloss" above, when did Rossin start with brace on front derailleur?

Further the six cog Mailard freewheel is marked 83, it seems to be the original hubs and freewheel

BRG
Per

Back