Help identifying Raleigh or Carlton

Salmonallen

Retro Newbie
I bought a chrome road bike from a chap who said he wasn't sure what it was, essentially I liked the wrap round seat stay and no thrills lugs , thing is I can't find any reference numbers looks like they were ground off the BB. I took some pics, any help?? Is it a cobra or a rip off?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 652
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 652
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 652
Re:

No no sign of stamp on drop out, seat stay just evidence of something having been ground off BB maybe it's been nicked at some point .... Any other way of finding out???

It looks like an early Cobra with the wrap around seat stays but they often came with a braze on rear brake hanger.

Does it have 2 horizontal holes for a head badge, if so yes it is. Later Cobras had fancier Crespera lugs. I've got an early Cobra in the garage I'll double check.

Shaun

Re:

Yeah it has two holes I was googling that earlier to see if that answers so that's brilliant... How can I tell the rough age without the stamps... I want to restore it so do you know where I can find the spec? You've been really helpful already so cheers

Something to aim for:
10cobra-1.jpg

The one in the image is c1973 and has Crespera lugs an rear brazed on CP brake hanger...

Back