Easy rust removal process

Hi all was at a studebaker club meeting as a guest, (the guy down the road has a 55 hawk), anyways there was a presso from these guys selling rust removal & degreaser, non toxic no fumes, can drink it etc. bought some degreaser and it worked better than petrol and citrus based stuff so decided to buy some more. Asked the guy about the rust remover, and it won't affect anything except rust , you can dip your whole bike in a bath and it won't take off paint, decals, has no effect on alloy or plastic etc etc so I bought some.

Before this I bought some rust removal acid from the hardware but was told it will turn alloy green, remove paint etc so wasn't looking forward to the process, especially my steel caged pedals mated to the alloy body.

So one pedal has been in a bath for 2 hours and the rust is mostly gone, the other bike stuff nuts bolts springs et al are in zip lock bags with enough to cover it all.

Too easy I'm sitting with a drop sheet in the livingroom with bike bits everywhere and it's doing all the work, apparently it'll last 4-6mths before it starts rusting again.

Cheers Matthew

Re:

I tried to google the ingredients but the technical spec only states what is not in it!

When you get yours please put the list of ingredients/label up on here so we can see what it is :)

I've had a look too, metal rescue and evapo-rust are similar but all I can find is that they are chelating agents.....

Shaun

Rust removal update - seems to be working fine, not all rust removed, maybe it needs a bit longer on some parts, but huge improvement.

Some of the directions make me think it's oxalic acid (doesn't harm anything but the rust, works better warmed up etc.) but-
oxalic acid is an acid and this says it not
oxalic acid will burn your skin and this won't - you can drink it etc
So I don't know, been madly googling to try and find out what's in it because of course it's not listed on the label, be interested to find out though

Back