Bianchi BB type suggestions

mattsccm

Senior Retro Guru
Been asked to have look at the BB on a mates early 90's Bianchi. It's got a Campag Record gruppo so I suspect the BB is the same. Is it likely to have an Italian thread etc? It's bound to be a right sod to get out and I want to make sure that I am pulling the right way etc. From what I can make out it could have one of several sizes of balls. Any way of identifying the thread etc before pulling it out? Markings maybe?

I'm not sure when Bianchi abandoned Italian threads, but the cups of a Record BB will be marked clearly with the thread size: 36x24F for Italian, 1.37"x24TPI for British. If for some reason it's not marked, get the adjustable cup out first (anticlockwise) and measure it.

AFAIK all Italian BB shells are 70mm and UK 68mm .... Or is my dementia worse today? Digital callipers across the shell should sort it.

Shaun

Midlife":mg1iaxfa said:
AFAIK all Italian BB shells are 70mm and UK 68mm .... Or is my dementia worse today?
No, you're quite right, though occasionally an Italian shell may be a touch narrower than it should be. It's also not unknown for a stripped BSC shell to be tapped out to ITA as a repair job, but shell width is certainly a good guide to thread type.

If it's a Record unit though, it'll almost certainly be marked.

Re:

Turned out to be English but we couldn't ship the adjustable cup . Need a proper big spanner methinks.

Back