Got the bug and need advice

Marbo

Devout Dirtbag
After a long time with out a bike, I recently got myself an old generic 18-23 Raleigh. I have managed to completely strip and rebuild it, and it still works :D .

Now I want another project. However this time I would like to renovate something using period parts. I would like some advice on what sort of bike I should be looking for.

Nothing too expensive or exotic. Should I look for a mass produced bike or custom?

Mass produced means very specific parts where as custom would need period parts of a quality that is in keeping with the frame.

Should I be looking for a tired complete bike or just frame and forks?

I'm in no rush to complete a build, with a total build cost of around £300-£400

Thanks for any help

Mark

It's hard to answer that without knowing what you like, what you plan to do with it and what your skills are.

The best thing to do is monitor all the usual sources for something in budget that catches your eye. I find a "nearest first" search for all bikes on eBay works best for me. When looking at an ad do a mental tally of what it might need and decide if you're prepared to do it.

Thanks Bob
I'm doing the London-Paris next year for charity, so the bike would be for a raffle prize to raise some cash.

My personal preference is 80's road racing.

As for my skills, never attempted to build wheels and would need a straight undamaged frame. Everything else I'm good with.

@bagpuss too late

There's a bike on eBay in Birmingham for 50 quid if you fancy a challenge, shot in seat stays and lookjs like cinelli fork crown so not shabby. Search for 531 frame will bring it up.

If I was nearer I'd get it :)

Shaun

thanks guys, i will check out the cycle jumbles and have a look for the 531 when i get to my pc.

currently watching a shabby Record Sprint. if it stays low enough I may go for that. I would get away with using Shimano 105's on a 501 frame

Back