New member, advice, and if this is wrongly posted...go easy

PabloRoberts

Dirt Disciple
Evening all,

Firstly, I'd like to say thanks to everyone on here. I've loved looking at your beautiful bikes, and reading the passion you have for them.

Recently bought a racer after not having owned one in twenty years (since I was 15) and caught the bug. Bit of an obsessive personality so now I can add retro road bikes to my ridiculous collections (70's and 80's Seiko watches, camera equipment with old lenses, the list is endless...)

I picked up a spanking Raleigh Corsa 531 off Ebay from a guy in his 60's who had bought it for two triathlons, and then it had sat there in his inside dining room for the next 30 years until I picked it up off him for a pittance...

...the thing is...it's lovely, but it didn't feel...well...like it was mine. So I decided the only option was to build or restore one. Being obsessive, I've dipped in and out of forums, spent hours in a dark room reading about butted tubes, whippy frames, and other riders loves and I decided that I'd buy a frame and lovingly restore it so I'd genuinely love it.

I've bought a Peugeot Vitus 980 in disrepair, for the sum of £100 (I know I've overpaid slightly) and I'm going to have it blasted, powder coated and laquered.

If you were I, and being the wonderful knowledgeable people I know you are, how would you go about turning this into a ride to be proud of?

I've also pulled the trigger on a Ribble 653 frame (photos also attached) but I fear it may be slightly too large for me (5'11, 33 inside leg) as I think 56cm is about right, 57cm at a push, but the frame is 58cm. I was going to cannabalise the Raleigh and swap the parts straight on. Is that heresy?

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    253.2 KB · Views: 554
  • Raleigh.JPG
    Raleigh.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 549
  • Ribble.JPG
    Ribble.JPG
    47.6 KB · Views: 549
  • Raleigh 2.jpg
    Raleigh 2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 549
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    196.7 KB · Views: 546
Re:

Looks like you have picked up some lovely rides there, although I can only see a picture of the Peugeot, personally if the Raleigh is as good as you say I would try advertising it on here before splitting it, The Peugeot is well worth a respray and with a Vitus frame not overpriced. Welcome to the insanity that is Retrobike, you might also like to take a look in the other hobbies section below as well ;)

Re:

I've had a bit of difficulty posting photos....pretty restrictive quality limits...hopefully the rest are up now.

Thanks for replying, genuinely appreciated!! Glad I didn't overpay. The Peugeot came with wheels on Mavic M234 rims as well, which for the life of me I'm having a struggle finding out on Google if they're quality items. i've got a set of MA40's which I could swap on (my ebay addiction meant I started pulling the trigger on bits before I was settled)

Would you restore it to an original Peugeot colourset?

Re:

Yes I would as I personally like the colour, looks like Shimano 105/600 parts on it too nice and easy to replace or source spares for, The rims are new on me too could be a 'Touring' rim, are they eyeletted/double wall :?: Also Mavic don't really make a poor rim ;)

The Raleigh looks like it is US market one, what does the front badge say :?:

I would suggest this might be a plan, use the parts off the 'Pug' on the Ribble while you get the frame re-finished, that will give you time to plan the Ribble build, while giving you a serviceable bike to ride ;)

Re:

I think the Pug has British threads so that might be a great idea!! Not sure about seatpost size though.

I think I'll take it back to an original although I'm not sure of the model (if anyone can help?)

I THINK it's either a PSV or PSN 10....more digging required I think.

On the size point, I am 33"/5ft 11" too and find I really need a 60cm frame. Both my road frames are 58.5cm and I have problems finding a period appropriate seat post because I ride so high. (Not sure if it makes a difference but I am very flexible.) So you might want to ride them all before deciding which fits you best.

Nice shoes too! They look as if they've never been worn. If they're not your size then you should be able to sell them on for a good price. Are they the wood sole versions?

Re:

Hi,

Unfortunately that photo was the original sellers and he kept the shoes so I havent got a clue.

Still need to find out about these M234 rims. Any recommendations, or start a new thread maybe?

Back