1980 Carlton Super Course

ianeire

Retro Newbie
My uncle bought this bike new in 1981 and used it fairly extensively through his 20's. It has been sitting in his shed for a long time though and had fallen into disrepair. Chatting to him one evening recently over a few drinks he was regaling his cycling tales to me (I race also) and he mentioned about an old bike he had stored away that he had always planned to do something with. Torn between selling it, keeping it, restoring it etc. Anyway, when it came down to it, rather than sell it - and he'd have gotten very little for it in its current state - he passed it my direction to do with it what I pleased.

There was quite a bit of surface rust so the first step was to strip it off and get it painted because I couldn't start using it outside and expose the frame to the elements long term in that condition.

Stripped all the parts down and they cleaned up pretty well. Still more to do on most of them to get a lot of the ingrained dirt lifted, but some autosol and elbow grease made everything look much better.

So this is how she currently stands. I had replacement Super Course and Reynolds decals delivered during the week and I'm hoping to have the frame powdercoated at some stage over the next couple of weeks with the aim of rebuilding it using as many of the original parts that I can to keep authenticity up, and costs down!

Would it be sacrilegious to go with a different colour? I'm torn between a pearl white as close to original as I can get, or something more modern like a candy red.

Re: 1981 Carlton Super Course

Look forward to seeing this Carlton get some more lovin'

nice project, its great when a bike has family history

if it was mine I would go red, always looks good

rochester21":g5r2ym8n said:
Is it just me, or is the fork bent a little towards the back?

I was wondering the same. Sometimes it's not easy to tell from photos, though the front tyre definitely looks kind of close to the downtube in the first image.

I think the bars are turned slightly to the right in the picture which might make it worse than it is. He had some vague memory of being told that the forks might have been pushed back but has absolutely no recollection of being involved in any incident that might have caused it. I haven't dropped the fork out of the frame yet. I'll stick a wheel in again this evening to see how it is as it has been a few weeks, but from memory the front wheel was running straight and true in the dropouts. The fork itself looks to be seated in around the bottom of the headset just fine also. I assume any accident that would require enough force to bend back the fork would probably have had a knock on effect on how the wheel runs through the brakes & bottom of the crown. It's unlikely that it would have been pushed back so that it was exactly flush ..

Either way, for sure, it's something that I'll need to check out before sending it for paint. In terms of getting it straight again if needs be, a little persuasion in a vice?

I agree the forks do look bent. It looks to me like it will have Toeclip Overlap when the front wheel is turned with the cranks in the horizontal position. Defo needs to be checked before respraying.

Ok, full profile pic with bars straight and a wheel in place. I don't think there would be any toe overlap with the cages in place - but it's close. From the pic, if they're off, it doesn't look like it's by much?

Back