Any guesses as to what is causing this?

elspedo

Dirt Disciple

Couple of weeks ago my chain started slipping from a standing start. I had a feeling it could be the chainrings as they were looking a bit ropey so have just swapped them over (as you can probably tell from the shiney rings and oily bike) but you can still see air between the chain and ring until it's completed about a quarter turn.

Has the chain just become too slack? It was replaced about 500 miles ago when I changed the rear cassette.

A slipping chain is 99% if the time due to either it or the cassette/ring being worn. If you were using a new chain on a worn chainring, that would accelerate wear on the chain. So you now have a worn chain on a new chainring, and it's very likely that they won't work well together.

try a new chain, and check your cassette again too. Replacing chain and cassette but not the chainring only 500miles ago might not seem like a lot, but that worn chainring will have accelerated wear on the new chain, which in turn might have accelerated wear on the new cassette...

that said, it looks like your front mech isn't adjusted very well at all, which may well be the problem - try sorting that out before you pay for new parts.

Can't tell you but suggest a good place to start is the Barnett Bike Manual and/or Suitherland's Handbook.

http://www.esense.be/bike/Barnettmanual.pdf

I don't have a link for Sutherland's Handbook but you should be able to find it somewhere on the net!

Looking at your picture, it doesn't look as if the big chain ring is meant for the Ultegra spider?? As a result, it could be that the chain alignment is off? Another thought is that your chain is too narrow the chain rings you have fitted (f.ex if you have 7/8 speed chain rings and 10 speed chain)

Hopefully a member with better mechanical knowledge than mine will come along and help you.

colnagolover

Thanks for the replies guys, I replaced both the cassette and the chain at the same time, it's all 8 speed stuff.

It was fine until a few weeks ago which is what made me think it was just wear and tear.

I have an 8 speed chain knocking around so will try that and see if it solves the riddle.

Cheers

Is that a 1/8" thick chainring for single speed setups? A 3/32" chain (ie one for gears) sits like that on a 1/8" chainring.

You've put new chain and cassette on knackered chainrings, your 500 mile chain is almost definitely shafted and your 500 mile cassette is probably shafted.

Didn't you even look at the chainrings when you swapped the chain and cassette? If they were within 500 miles of slipping, they would have been in a right state. (Chaining the chain and cassette probably made the risk of slipping even higher TBH)

I'm also guessing your cleaning routine is rather lax........ that won't help driveline durability!

mattr":1lvd2w14 said:
I'm also guessing your cleaning routine is rather lax........ that won't help driveline durability!

If I was after cleaning routine advice I would have asked my girlfriend what she thought was wrong ;)

Couldn't find my spare chain so have ordered a new one and will see if that fixes it.

Cheers for all the replies!

Back