Retro chainset - non retro rings?

dirttorpedo

Senior Retro Guru
So I have a vintage Bianchi running Shimano 600ex with the stock 52/42 front and 13/28 rear. I live in a pretty hilly area and I pretty much have to stand all the way to climb up the bigger hills in that 42x28. Toying with the idea of replacing the small ring with a 38 (the smallest possible at 130 BCD).

Anyone else done this? Will I lose my retro cred. by doing this? Will a modern Sugino ring work?

Midlife":2wj4e65g said:
Isn't Shimano 130 BCD? Or was that just the first gen stuff .....

Shaun

Yes, that's correct. Velobase says the 600ex is 130 BCD and my research indicates that the smallest ring I could put on there would be a 38. I could go 50x38 up front which would make the big ring much more useful as well....

Re:

I don't think we can get stronglight on this side of the pond. I can get TA which I hear are much better quality, but they are at least double the price of Sugino. I think Sugino fits my budget best. I could put Origin8 on dirt cheap, but they look funky because of the double drilling for different BCD's and I'd rather keep things looking as period correct as possible.

The smaller the chain ring, the smaller the difference between old and new. Just not as much room for funky shapes.

Q-Rings will help you climb better if you wish to explore that avenue

I dont know about street cred but I used 10 speed FSA rings when I went 10 speed on my old 653 Raleigh and Klein. They work great but dont really look period. Stronglight have some more period looking rings that will also work (I bought some from Universal cycles in the US quite a long time ago but sold the bike with those on so no pictures). Not sure they went as small as 38t . Mine is a 39x53 combo.

Sorry for the crappy picture (its dark outside)

130bcd.jpg

Back