First retro builld

TheHungryGhost

Retro Newbie
Hi, I'm in the middle of my first retro build, just looking for any information about the frame - I don't really know anything about road bikes, I just liked the look of the frame, and it was cheap so I went for it. Just looking to get it going initially, and if I like it, look at restoring the paintwork etc. Its an Evans bike, no idea what steel the frame is made of. The rear dropouts are spaced at 120mm, and I think it would have originally had 630mm wheels.
wpid-wp-1434401011009.jpeg

Also, can anyone identify this sticker?
IMG_20150520_203530-e1434572092286.jpg

Hi, looks like a nice frame. I can't tell from the picture but the paint looks ok apart from some marks on the top tube. If it is a 120 rear end, and with the rear gear cable guides on the top of the BB then it may be something like a mid 70s bike?

If it was built for 27" wheels then it may take 700c if there is enough drop left on the calipers. It definately looks like there is some room on the rear brake to drop the brake blocks down to a 622 700c rim.

Re:

Thanks, the paintwork is a bit bubbled in places, but the rust seems light. There also seems to have been something spilled on it, that does not seem to want to come off easily.
I think the brakes will fit a 700 wheel. I got a mismatched pair off ebay, with a 5 speed Maillard freewheel, which is heavy, but seems in decent nick.

Back