HELP REQUIRED! Road Bike Novice! Should I buy this bike?

dmj

Dirt Disciple
Hi all (PICTURES NOW BELOW)

I'm a big retro MTB fan but know nothing about road bikes! All I know is I want one to attempt to get fit on! So in usual style I have looked at all the modern bikes on ebay etc your carbon C'dales, Specialized, some other makes like Canyon etc etc. But then I wonder should I buy a fully loaded modern job or buy something 'Interesting'!

So I came across this a Somec Carbon and thought that looks good, slightly retro I'm assuming, Italian built, Campag etc so thought why buy a modern when I could get something Unusual!

But the question to my forum colleagues is would you buy it, not overly expensive but will it be any good? Will it be a good bike to ride for the long term? Can I get help with the following:

- What year approx. is this?
- Will it roughly fit me its a Top tube 54 Seat tube 54.5 and I'm 5'9" which seems my size?
- Is it a sort after make, good spec and the sort of thing that will hold its value?
- What would it have sold for new?
- Ultimately should I buy this or a modern bike?

Here's the spec details below:

Full carbon frame and forks
Chorus campagnolo 10 speed chain set
Chorus campagnolo front and rear derailleur
Campagnolo Khamsin wheel set
Chorus campagnolo shifters
Chorus campagnolo front and rear brakes
Michelin Krylion carbon tyres
Black Stick carbon fibre seat post
Fi zi k saddle

Thank you for your help and advice!

Attachments

• $_14.jpg
    $_14.jpg
    1.3 KB · Views: 748
  • five.jpg
    five.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 748
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 748
  • six.jpg
    six.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 748
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    1.6 KB · Views: 748
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 748
It's nigh on impossible to tell much from the tiny pictures - could be my work Internet filter to blame not necessarily your pics.

Can't imagine it being retro at all as it's carbon and kitted out with 10 speed Campag Ergos. Size wise the top tube seems short for the seat tube length and you might find the frame a tad too big anyway.

Somec are well regarded and not cheap new so in terms of value a new bike or "last year's model" might work out cheaper.

Mark.

Re:

Hi Mark

Thanks for that don't know why pictures are so small? I'll try and make bigger so you can view?

Re:

Right hopefully sorted the pictures out so any advice to my first post questions from the forum experts would be appreciated?

Thanks.

Attachments

• one.jpg
    one.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 668
  • two.jpg
    two.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 668
  • three.jpg
    three.jpg
    143 KB · Views: 668
  • four.jpg
    four.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 668
  • five.jpg
    five.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 668
  • six.jpg
    six.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 668
those are all good quality bits from the early-mid 2000s. Chorus is a very high quality group, somewhere between ultegra and dura ace. How much is it?

I was guessing at 2000, give or take, but cce out-ranks me on road knowledge for sure! The group is superb stuff - have a box of it here ready for a lovely Colnago Superissimo, it doesn't come cheap. So a lot will depend on the condition of the drivetrain - if it's worn then you're looking at a serious outlay to refresh it, ditto the rims. If it's box-fresh on the other hand, I'd imagine that you could be paying close to a grand for the bike.

So, "it depends..." :LOL:

Re:

Hi cce

Chap I knows wants around £450-500 for it so I'm thinking for a first try road bike you thinking this is a good option? Or walk into Evans with 700 quid and get a named brand low end jobbie? Which you reckon?

Thanks for your advice!

elPedro666":zpdwm7rt said:
I was guessing at 2000, give or take, but cce out-ranks me on road knowledge for sure! The group is superb stuff - have a box of it here ready for a lovely Colnago Superissimo, it doesn't come cheap. So a lot will depend on the condition of the drivetrain - if it's worn then you're looking at a serious outlay to refresh it, ditto the rims. If it's box-fresh on the other hand, I'd imagine that you could be paying close to a grand for the bike.

So, "it depends..." :LOL:

10 speed started in 2000

11 speed came in in 2008 for Super Record, Record and Chorus, external bearing BBs were around 2007.

Back