Can anyone identify this old Raleigh?

davelittle

Retro Newbie
Hi All,

First post on this amazing forum.

I've rescued my father in laws old steel steed from his shed which I intend to restore to somewhere near it's former glory to use as a winter/commuter bike.

As you can see it's been unsympathetically re-sprayed removing any clue (to me) of it's original identity. My father in law said it is a Raleigh and it does say Raleigh on the BB cable guide but that's as much as I know....

If I'm correct the Golden Arrow group-set dates it to mid 80's. I've been through all the mid 80's Raleigh catalogues I can find but still cant ID it. The fork crown is really throwing me (perhaps it's been replaced?)

It has Weinmann side pull brakes and levers, Golden Arrow groupset, Sakae Crank (non standard?) and Italian bars (non standard?).

I'd really appreciate some help identifying the model so I can get it re-sprayed close to the original colour and source some decals.

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Dave

Attachments

• photo%202-3.jpg
    photo%202-3.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 763
  • photo%201-2.jpg
    photo%201-2.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 763
  • photo%202-1.jpg
    photo%202-1.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 763
  • photo%203-1.jpg
    photo%203-1.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 763
  • photo%204.jpg
    photo%204.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 763
  • bike 1.jpg
    bike 1.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 763
Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum.

Does this bike have any kind of identifying features such as a frame number - check under the bottom bracket or on the side/back of the seat tube. Does it have any markings or names on either the front or rear dropouts?

Cheers
Neil

Hi Neil,

Thanks for your reply.

A serious clean and some further investigating revealed a frame number under the BB (further images attached).

I can't make out the first character though...

Best I get is: ?6092181

It looks like the original colour was white too. That might help with identifying the original model.

Attachments

• photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 651
  • photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 651
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 651
  • photo-6.jpg
    photo-6.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 651
Re:

Tange headset
Weinmann rims
Maillard QR hubs
Christophe toe straps

Still can't pin in down....

I'm about to give up

Third digit is a 6 so that's 1986. Might have been supplied as a frame only. Have you looked at the Raleigh frame catalogues from 1986?

Shaun

Hmmm

Tange sloping crown forks, circa 1984-86

Frame number on BB suggests Lightweight built, but frame number will nail it

Great looking bike, kinda looks cool.

I have just picked up a circa 84 Raleigh Pulsar, not sure if it is ur bike
the paint spec on mine is:Light metallic silver on seat stay and down tube, fading to dark silver on the headset.

10Speed Huret
Raleigh shifters on down tube
Weinmann calipers front and back
Mallard Hubs front and rear
40cm Handlebars

18-23 Tubing with Aerospace Contour decals
few images on the ebay listing, has tapered crown forks?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Raleigh-Pulsa ... 011394260?

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Retro

What do you mean "Vastly overdescribed" ?
Was trying to help someone who asked for it.
If by providing an accurate description of the bike I owned, cos I thought the geometry and period look very similar (sold it yesterday for £150)
I incur the condascending wrath of Retro, I'm man enough to take it.
Just a note to you retro, pepes who sit on forum's looking for posts to ridicule to make themselves feel better are complete saddo's.

Hope you got out of the post what you were looking for

Back